Model 70 heavy barrel info needed

C.W.

I recently acuired a Winchester Model 70 .308 with a 26" Barrel. Its says heavy barrel on the barrel. It says Varmint Police inside the stock. Its serial # is G2064xxx. I have never heard of this model and am curous what I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently acuired a Winchester Model 70 .308 with a 26" Barrel. Its says heavy barrel on the barrel. It says Varmint Police inside the stock. Its serial # is G2064xxx. I have never heard of this model and am curous what I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You have the varmint model 70, simple as that. The police and varmint model used the same stocks, and came in 223, 22-250, 220 swift and 308, the police came in 223 and 308 only.

Thank you for that info. What is the difference if any between the Varmint and the Police model? I'm planning to use this gun as a 300 to 500 yard deer rifle. Any suggestions as to recomended stocks or other mods would be appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.