Model 70 actions

openlake

I am relatively new to true LRH. All of my rifles for LRH are factory built. I have been considering getting a rifle built from the ground up so to speak. I have always had a love affair with the Model 70 style actions. I know there are a ton of people that use the Remington model 700 actions, but what are the pros and cons on using this style action as the foundation for a new rifle?
confused.gif
Thanks for any input.

This might be heresy around here but I am with you in preferring the M-70. I have used them for many years, both push-feed and controlled round feeding.
Fact is that both Rem and Win are good actions, and they can both be improved a bunch by a good gunsmith. Here are a some of my opinions on the M-70's, usually vs Remington since they seem to be compared so much.
I find that the M-70 is easier to insert rounds into the mag - might be I am inherently clumsy but the Win action cutout is bigger and makes it easier to get rounds into the mag well. Some Rem. actions require that the round fit back inside the opening to sit back on the lifter.
M-70 trigger assemblies are quite easy to adjust and they stay set. There is no inter-relationship to the safety although you can overdo it so that the sear doesn't engage. Anyone can adjust a M-70 trigger but unlike the Rem. it requires removing metal so you must be very careful. There is a factory designed trick that ensures perfect stoning of the sear hook that makes the job easy. I use a Lansky knife sharpening stone, works great.
Many smiths seem to tout the installation of a "Sako-style" extractor into the Rem. bolt face to improve extraction, whereas you just don't have to do that with Win. pushfeeds.
The M-70 bolt disassembles in seconds, no tools or coins or whatever so it is easy to clean and lube inside.
The M-70 is supposed to be stronger, more resistent to bending or torquing. I have never bent an action and never will but the M-70 seems to have more steel in it, makes it heavier than a Rem. I prefer the integral recoil lug over the washer-type used by Rem. for some reason, just seems better.
You either love or hate the three-way safety, I prefer it to any other.

From a gunsmith's view point the controlled round feeding actions are a pain in the butt, require a fairly precise cutout for the big long extractor into the face of the barrel, use a cone shaped area (breach) instead of flat, much more complex to bed than a circular Rem action since it is flat-bottomed - but when bedded correctly they are superbly stable and strong.

I have been told that some M-70's were very hard actions, steel was hardened to a different degree than Rems and they can be tough to drill. Also the M-70 has some polishing that must be done on the upper flat surface and this is not done uniformly so one-piece bases don't always sit flush. Like the Rem they also sometimes suffer from miss-alignment of the scope mounting holes. I have also found that the three stock bolts should be switched to B-Squares so you don't have to use a flat blade screwdriver (allens instead).
Most new M-70 actions are improved if a competent smith polishes the safety parts, no grinding or hanging up.
Although the push-feeds got a terrible (and well deserved for a while) reputation for sloppy workmanship, they can be the basis for incredibly accurate rifles. Better than Remingtons, not sure about that since I have some Rems that are very good, particularly the 40X singleshot actions.
Why so many Remingtons, one reason is that the action is inherently easier to work on.
Hope that this is of interest. Other guys might have other opinions, hope you enjoy your M-70 like I do mine.

Thanks Ian, you are a man after my own heart.
wink.gif
The Remington actions can be super sweet when polished up, but I sure do like the saftey and trigger of the ole model 70. The controlled feed claw is probably not needed in the rifle I want to build, but, I want to use that style in my future rifle. (I MAY even use a original pre-64 action for the project). Now I have to decide on some other small details, like caliber, barrel make,length/countour, stock, mounts, and optics. Decisions, decisions...
grin.gif

to improve Win 70 you need to

lightened the firing pin and add a stronger spring .

SQUARE the face of the receiver some are so much unsquare that you are not able to remove from bedding

Rethread the receiver center to the receiver axis
or first check the thread 1x16 th

I have trued one in 243 Win before to rebarrel in 6 Norma Br I get 3/8 group with Norma factory ammo

agree with you that Win 70 can be accurate and less costly as a REM 700 used

good shooting

DAN TEC

Tim--
I just bought two sets from Brownells...
Part # 122-505-670
Win. 70, set of 3 Sccket head action screws...Order By Phone 1-800-741-0015

Shootmagin, I'm with ian, although I have 5 Rem. rifles 1 Win., my next rifle is probably going to be a Win. I to have heard that Win. is a bit beefier than Rem. and really like that fact that the bolt comes apart so easy, nice feature in the field. Some people don't like the safety, I prefer it. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Win. for a custom rifle, go for it. Carlos did a number on the VC with one.R.I.P. Just my .02 Jay

I have a win-70 compact that I'm working with. It's in .308 and proving to be a real shooter. I have the trigger lightened and action bedded. First group after work 3/4"! I just put on a lupy tactical 3x9x40mm and am working on getting some reloads from my brother in law. Don't believe everything you hear about 20" light barrles they CAN be real shooters! I hope after alot of work to use this setup out to 700 yards for whitetail.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.