MODEL 1999 MONTANA ACTIONS

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by bjlooper, Sep 14, 2006.

1. bjlooper

bjlooper Well-Known Member

Has any one tried a Model 1999 Montana action. Where does it stand compaired to other custon actions?
    Thanks
    Dr B

2. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

I have built on several of these receivers and will be blunt about my opinion of them. If you want to build a general big game rifle, they will be alright, but for the price you pay for them its hard to justify them for just a general normal range big game rifle when a standard Win M70 will perform just as well or a Rem 700 will totally out perform one.

AS for a custom receiver, they rank pretty low in my book from actually getting them and taking critical measurements to see how true they are, not very to be honest.

STill the ones I have built on did meet my 1/2 moa accuracy requirement but I only tested that at 100 yards.

Simply put, they would not make my short list for custom receivers I would recommend for accuracy work. Again, for a general big game rifle, they work fine but know what your getting before you spend the money. If you want a LR rifle, go with another brand.

Kirby Allen(50)

3. Supermag

Supermag Well-Known Member

Do they compare well to the other Mauser/CRF actions out there? With Winchester out of business they were looking like a good replacement to me.

Are the Dakota actions better than these, I'm pretty sure they are alot more expensive.

4. traks44

traks44 Well-Known Member

I JUST got done with my .338 lapua from montana. I have been extremly busy with wildland fire so have only had time to put 3 shots through her and she shot 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. We loaded up some rounds with 869, H1000, and retumbo and will be reporting soon hopefully.

I agree with kirby for the most part, but the way the gun has come togethar and the way it looks is absolutly killer.

specs for my gun:
    .338 lapua on Montana action
    30 inch #8 contour barrel matt finish
    Vias muzzle brake
    McMillian A-5 stock, forest green, black and white all works
    TPS rings
    Ken Farrel 20 MOA base
    Nightforce 12-42/56MM Benchrest

Pictures if someone will post for me....

5. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

I will post them for you. My address is on my profile.