model 12 low profile

tim300mag

hi
new to the forum and was considering a savage model 12 low profile in 300 wsm. i was wondering if anyone has any experiance with it, opinions

Hi tim300mag.I have a Savage Model 12 in 300WSM and have had very good success with its ability to shoot where it is pointed. It is a bone stock rifle, as it came from the factory. I have developed two handloads that work well with this rifle. One is the Hornady SST in 180 grain and the other is the Barnes TSX in 180 grain. I am not a tremendous shooter and have shot under one half inch at 100 yards with both loads. I have a Leupy 6.5 X 20 X 40 VXIII mounted that has worked well. All the Savages my hunting buddies have worked with have shot well and were easy to handload . Good luck with your purchase. peashooter

Last edited:
Although my 300WSM Savage 12FVSS is no longer 'bone stock', it shot great right out of the box (1/2" groups).

PM me if you reload and I'll send you some info.

AJ

thanx for the input guys i will be hand loading and mounting a 6-24 burris scope and eventually change out the stock and barrel any hand load info you can give would be great

thanx for the input guys i will be hand loading and mounting a 6-24 burris scope and eventually change out the stock and barrel any hand load info you can give would be great

H4350 for 180gr and heavier bullets
Varget for lighter stuff (165gr etc)
CCI-BR2 primers
Norma brass

Mine shoots everything I've tried pretty well
165gr Hornady BTSP and flatbase sp shoot very good
180gr Accubonds shot OK, I stopped looking for that 'great' load
200gr Accubonds shoot great loaded to 2845fps

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.