Mitutoyo Calipers worth it?

barnesuser28

Since i have been extending my shooting distances i feel i need to take my reloading up a notch and upgrade from my cheap ($35) calipers to a mitutoyo, specifically this one Mitutoyo ABSOLUTE 500-196-20 Digital Caliper, Stainless Steel, Battery Powered, Inch/Metric, 0-6" Range, +/-0.001" Accuracy, 0.0005" Resolution: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific i want to know if it will be worth it to buy the cheaper mitutoyo, or if you have to jump to the $250 models to notice a difference in quality from the cheap $40-$20 calipers. Thanks

The mitutoyo's are awesome! I have a cheap pair of RCBS that read super consistent but I have to replace the batteries on a monthly basis. I had a pair of Mitutoyo's that I easily used for 2 or 3 hours a day for 5 days a week at work and could probably go 6 months before I needed a new battery.

The Mitutoyo will repeat amazing and are definitely nicer than the cheaper calipers. With my cheap RCBS calipers I feel I need to check their accuracy every time I use them, with the Mitutoyo I would check them only if I dropped them.

You'll need to buy a micrometer set to get more accurate readings.

I will be using it mostly for bullet seating and trimming. And measuring odds and ends around the house.

I just bought the Mitutoyo you are looking at barnesuser28 to replace my $40 dollar one. there is no comparison. i went to it because its what we use at my place of business for checking dimensions of bearing and seals and it is very accurate and repeatable which is one the most important things. In my opinion the whole feel of the caliper is different than a $40 one way tighter tolerance on the caliper

Riley,

How are you measuring COL? If its from point to base the better calipers won't make much difference. If your measuring from base to ogive then it definitely will. :)

One improvement is that what you are looking at will last your lifetime, if you aren't a clutz and drop 'em on a regular basis or use them as a wrench. :D Whereas the 29.95 Harbor Freight stuff will need to be replaced every 5 or less years if used regularly. 150/$30 = 50 bucks every 5 years. At your age it'd be worth it. @ my age I'd be wasting a hundred bucks. :D

When I kick the bucket I want all my tools broken down and worn out all barrels shot out and tired from shooting so far, be dead broke (pun) and the horse to find its way home. :)

Roy,
Base of case to ogive, of course. I think i will try to convince my dad that we need these if we want to shoot an animal at 1K :D. If not i will buy it with my own $. I should also mention that my $35 calipers when i close them they usually dont return to exact 0, usually off .001 but sometimes .002" , i cant have a .004-.005 seating depth tolerence in my ammo. Wouldnt it be great if you (not neccessarily you, Roy) shot out your last barrel the day before passing.

Since i have been extending my shooting distances i feel i need to take my reloading up a notch and upgrade from my cheap ($35) calipers to a mitutoyo, specifically this one Mitutoyo ABSOLUTE 500-196-20 Digital Caliper, Stainless Steel, Battery Powered, Inch/Metric, 0-6" Range, +/-0.001" Accuracy, 0.0005" Resolution: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific i want to know if it will be worth it to buy the cheaper mitutoyo, or if you have to jump to the $250 models to notice a difference in quality from the cheap $40-$20 calipers. Thanks

the very first tool I bought when I started my apprenticeship was a 4" Mitutoyo dial caliper (March or April 1970). I was pretty hard on them, and must have dropped them a hundred times. Had to reset them another hundred fifty times, but still use them today. On a Jo-block they still are square, and show very little flex. I did have to replace the plastic lense a couple times due to damage and getting so yellowed that they were hard to read. I now have about six or eight pairs of different sizes. Some are digital and others are analog. I prefer the digital ones, and tend to use a pair of Starretts or Brown & Sharpes the most at home. In my range box the first pair I ever owned still resides.

You might want to try ENCO's website, as they are usually the cheapest out there.
gary

with the Starrets, I change batterys about once every 18 months. The plate on the back side will slide to one side disconnecting the battery, and allowing it to last much longer. The B&S is different, but also disconnect the battery. Never had a Mitutoyo digital caliper, so don't know how the battery is setup in them.
gary

went over to the ENCO website to see what they had, and you can select from several sizes and qualities. There were several you can buy from $120 to $190 that will do most anything you ever want. I didn't check the Starretts or B&S's, but last time I looked they also sold them as well.
gary

The one from the link to amazon is $115.51

that's probably the one ENCO lists for $117. Probably plenty good enough for the OP needs. If you can get by with a 4" pair, then do it. Saves you some money. Mitutoyo do see a 4.25" set of analog calipers that will do 99% of all reloading chores. That's the pair I've had for a long time.
gary

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts