Minox ZA 5 3-15x42

Bruce

I'm interested in purchasing a Minox ZA 5 3-15x42, The maginification is ideal for my sort of hunting which can range from up close and out to 600 yards.

Question: This 'scope doesn't have manual parallax adjustment, most 'scopes in this mag range do; will this matter at the longer ranges I shoot at?

Last edited:
Hi

I am looking at purchasing this scope as well.

From the data around I see parrallax is set at 100 yards. In reality its no different from a standard Leupold. Initial reports are good . I suppose technology moves forward.

A few months ago I tested a Z3 Swarovski and a Z5 and the parrallax was not an issue either without an adjustment dial.. very very clear as was to be expected.

Weight updated to 13 oz and length specs look better than the Conquest 4.5 to 14 x44 I have ... 180 bucks US cheaper to boot.

I wish some one would post a few more test results..

These scopes are supposed to have good glass but really poorly made tubes and internals(chinese). The reports I've read say really mushy turrets and tubes in the same class as the cheapest Vortex. Scott at Liberty optics did a review on them, do a search on that and read before you buy.

I wish I had read the this post yesterday. You're right not very complimentry

I have ordered one a day or two ago. Lets see how we go and I will post my findings and impressions for other LRH readers.

It wouldn't want to have cheap turrets and the glass better be as claimed. Some other posts on various forums have stated they are very clear optics with excellent clarity. Minox glass has been pretty good.

It wouldnt want to be a dud as news travels quickly and it will harm the brand and CLNY to some extent.

I'll post my findings when I mount it up on my 7mm T3 for all readers. Open mind at this stage!

On the basis of these comments I will hold off for a while. Looking forward to seeing reports about tracking and the parallax issue.

Cheers

Scope was delivered yesterday.

A nice touch was the scope goat that came with it.

I havent mounted it yet but I had a good look through it yesterday and then again in failing light.

I did turn the dials and I could feel the clicks easy enough and the turrets looked nice and strong with no plastic bits. Not as crisp as others but there was plenty of referrence on the indcator turret

Colours are not as bright as my old Conquest but more natural like , I'd say. Whites and colour contrast seems to be more vibrant in the conquest. Overall, the old Zeiss appreared brighter or the lighter colors were more vibrant at low light. The MINOX has better contrast of colors at low light IMO and I could see on 10 power quite easily into dusk.

Actually light gathering at prime time was pretty bloody good and this is what counts in my books. Keep in mind its not a 50 mm objective and a compact unit. More testing required but if it tracks as good as a test on another forum its pretty good value for your money. The bonus is its so compact and fits ideally on a Mountain rifle.

It will be interesting to see how the hold over points on the BDC match up to the 7mm RM at the range at different powers. Early days yet but its value is on par with what you paid for it. Its not a Swaro and it would be interesting to compare it to a new Leupold.

Once I mount it up and I test test fire it I'll give you some more details.

Power range is unreal and the ocular was easy to focus.. Eye relief is great.

I also just bought a ZA-5, Minox, 2-10x42 scope and it arrived today. Initial impression is good. Craftsmanship is good to excellent and I like the BDC reticle better than some other BDC reticles that I have used. I will mount the scope on the rifle this week and sight it in and by next week will have some range results.

It is my impression from what I have read is that the components and lens for the scope are fabricated in Europe, not China. However I will continue to investigate sources of ground lenses and other relevant parts to quality.

I have returned my 3 to 15 as it wouldnt track for s....t. I couldnt even zero my 1/2 MOA T3 7mm Rem mag with any reliabilty. Big erector problems I would say. It would just freeze and then release. Gentle Taps didnt help.. This one had lost its marbles and I dont have much confidence in that unit. This is one the boys at Minox need to test..and pull apart. It was set up in Talley light weight rings. Maybe I got a bad one or one of the first in May.

To CL NY credit I was requested to return it and provide details of purchase.Hopefully the new one will be fine..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.