Minox ZA-5 3-15 x 50 vs. Zeiss Conquest 4-14 x 50

smallbutfierce

Looking to upgrade from my 6-18 buckmasters scope, it has served me well. Now that my rifle can shoot, I'd like to get better glass. Things I don't like about the ole bucky are: mirage is horrible, crosshairs are wicked fat, and it cuts half an hour off my legal hunting times. So I started looking for 15 ish power, larger object lense scopes. I found these two scopes, both are around $600, the minox being slightly cheaper. In this price range the minox has more options for reticles, xr-bdc looks nice. I am stuck with the z-plex unless I want to pay more. The scope will be going on a stevens long action .308 build, shooting targets as far as I can, and deer and yotes as close as I can. Where I live it is hard to find long range shooting areas, and the furthest I have found is only about 770 yds. I have a 20 moa base to compensate for the lack of adjustment that is inherent in 1inch tubes. From what I can tell, they are very similar, but if someone can convince me one way or the other, that would be great. Also, if anyone has other options in this price range, feel free. Thanks.

I have not used the Zeiss so I can't comment on it but I do run a ZA-5 2-10x40. The glass is excellent and the scope is nice and light. The turrets however do not give me much confidence when dialing in corrections for longer distances. They are very mushy and have about a 1/4 moa lash when changing directions. I have done tracking test on the scope and it appears to track just fine but I still do not like using the turrets to make large adjustments. I have had very good luck with vortex and the scopes I have liked are very nice. Again I have not compared them to Zeiss but my PST is on par glass wise to my Minox. Also I am not sure where you are looking to purchase your scope but camera land has a demo section where they are selling Zeiss and Minox demos at discounted prices.

Vortex - Camera Land NY

Vortex - Camera Land NY

Just picked up a vortex viper hs 4-16 x 50, had no idea they made a 50. So, once again, the LRH classifieds have helped me save some money.

The Minox does not have an AO or side focus. My example had a serious parallax issue at 100 yards and I returned it. If that had not been an issue, it had a lot going for it, but as was mentioned, not the best turrets either. By the time one spends the extra cash to get turrets put on a scope that does not start out with them, one is in Viper PST price range. I think my 4-16x50 PST FFP cost about $250 more than the Minox, but is not in any way comparable. It really is a great scope.

I bought a ZA5 4-20X50 and hated it, I replaced it with a 4-14X50 Zeiss and am very pleased. The ZA5 picks up glare really bad and the low light capability of it is poor.

Had Minox both the 42 and 50 in the 3-15. Sold them instantly. Conquest is sharper by a LONG ways and brighter!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts