minimum contour for a 300RUM?

eddybo

I have been trying to get set up to do my own chamber work and think I am finally there. I have a rem LA mag boltface action that I trued up and am pretty pleased with the results. I have a .308 barrel that I bought on the forums here. I am considering chambering it in 300RUM as I have the reamer handy are there any special considerations regarding taper? There isnt a lot of straight before the taper begins on this barrel.

Lost the pic I meant to attach had to run out and take another.

IMAGE_00059.jpg

I am building this gun to take this deer. I remember how satisfying it was to take my first deer with a round I hand loaded. I bet it is a whole lot more satisfying to take one with a gun you chambered yourself.

006-1.jpg

I guess I should have used a 300RUM case in the phote....that is a RUM case necked down that has the shoulder improved and has had some taper removed....ie a 270 AM.

One simple rule of thumb, if the full diameter barrel shank extends past where the shoulder in the chamber is located, if the barrel is made of quality steel, you will be fine. Looks like you will be fine with that barrel.

I like to have at least 1.200" shank diameter for a RUM chambering.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.