Min barrel length for 270 AI???

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Curt, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Curt

Curt Member

Do you guys know what would be a min. length barrel for a 270AI

2. wapiti13

wapiti13 Well-Known Member

bearcat, 22-24 inch would be normal. You might see if Fiftydriver would give you input.

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Budlight shoots one and should post something.

I'd say 26" shortest to be considered and would go w/27". Have a 27" 270 Win hanging on the wall and am please with performance.

FWIW.....

4. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

Bearcat,

What do you do w/ the gun ?
    Is it a gun you hike in the mountains with,or a more stationary gun ?
    I'm going to rebarrel my 25-06 to AI soonish and being that i'll tote it quite a bit i'm going to go w/a 26". Mike

5. Curt

Curt Member

Mainly a mountain rifle so it will see alot of sling time

6. wapiti13

wapiti13 Well-Known Member

bearcat, I personally don't like over a 22" barrel & long action to carry. Especially if you ever plan on putting it in a scabbard down the road. Just my thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

If you are looking for light weight and compact, don't hesitate to be in the 18-20 inch range.
    I hunt with specialty handguns and you still get great performance and accuracy with the shorter barrels.
    What distances do you want to be able to connect at?

8. Curt

Curt Member

What I'm looking for really is this: I have a rifle that is chambered in 270 Win it could use a little "accuratizing" work. Currently it has a 24" sporter weight barrel on it, I would like to have it set back and recut to 270AI this would roughly make it 23.75" long. Is that length able to use the extra the AI provides or is it a waste? As far as the distance I want it to be capable of it would be a long range desert/mountain rifle. Antelope/Mule deer/Elk/Black bear gun. Thanks

9. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

What is the current accuracy of this barrel?

10. Curt

Curt Member

Specifically on the barrel really don't know, the accuacy can be affected by many different factors, but putting that aside the rifle currently shoots about 1.25-1.5" groups at 100. Of course being a pre 64 Winchester it is not free floating (it has the bolt half way down the forearm through the stock into the barrel) Its not been bedded and has had no action work done to it. It is a post war rifle barrel date is 1949.