Millett Tactical TPS-1 4x16 50mm REVIEW

superlite17

Hello ALL! I wanted to add a little on the Millett Tactical TPS-1 4x16 50mm I just got mine yesterday. I bought a Savage 22-250 and a Sendero 7mm Ultra Mag so i was in need of one "cheap but well made" and one close to top of the line that i could afford. So I bought the Millett and the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. The Millett looks great, seams sturdy, one problem, there was a divit in the interior threading where the shade goes. It is deeper than the shade goes, but i do not like it. I also do not like the thought of paying for shipping or going without it when it is an OBVIOUS QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE, AND NEVER SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE FACTORY THIS WAY!

After that let down, I took both in hand and compared side by side. The Zeiss is much lighter, but the build seems cheap, the focus seems plastic, where all the Millett knobs seem aircraft grade aluminum... which is what i would expect. My first impression was that the Zeiss was optically brighter, but now believe it must be a wash out or illusion. To try to find less objective analyses I found a flood lamp about 75 yards out which with the Zeiss seemed to have little vent blades. I was actually impressed to see that detail and did not expect NEAR the results from the Millett as it's range only went to 16... I looked through... and clear as day was a sticker with writing! I believe detail to be BETTER on the Millett, and i will provide more detail later. Incedentally, the Conquest is now on Ebay... also accepting offers, never used!

I wonder if the Millett quality is the same on the Varmint model. Can anyone say? Hands down I would have ordered it today... but that flaw makes me nervous in light of Millett's history. And this mistake falls back on me in EVERY way. To return I must pay shipping, furthermore I have to go without the scope I already waited a week for. So, I will have to ponder the decision a few days. I do believe it has outperformed the Zeiss, where many fellow forum members do not.

Thanks - Rod

I have had 4 Millets. All but one have gone back to the factory. Millet even purchased one back from me because they were recalling that model. They stand behind their product but from what I saw and experienced I would go with Nikon or a new scope called Clearridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts