Military to consider a .338!

The US military have some Canadian build PGWDTI Timberwolf's in test trials for over a year now.

They look like my C14 (Canadian nomenclature).

HPIM1272.jpg

HPIM1294.jpg

HPIM1298.jpg

I have heard that their are a few Sako TGR42's in use right now in both Iraq and Afganistan , limited use by spec ops units. Totaly unofficial of course

Shawn could sell the great 3500.00 Edge to the mil and they'd have a heck of a good rifle. And mil purchasing being what it is Shawn coudl get maybe 9500.00 a piece for the same rifle he builds now. America, aint it wonderful :)

There are 2 338 Edge's in service as we speak. The reports back are about what you would expect. The big stumbling block for military application is ammunition availability. There are also some AI 338 LM's in service with certain special units but the reviews on these seems to be split about really liking them or not. The big nod for the AI is that Black Hills loads 300 SMK's for the LM and they are already a military specialty ammunition contractor.

Hey Shawn , are the Edges in service will military or contractors? I've got some friends over their and it sounds like the military guys are getting the bone when it comes to the tools thay can use.

Their is a fella shooting a McMillan Tac300 , through a custom suppressor and he reports "I don't think it can get any better" but I don't think he gotten to drive a well built 338 yet. He asked me about getting somthing other than a 308 and the first thing I thought was Sako TGR42 then AICS 338 Lapua but he spent his money on the McMillan.

I don't get too excited anymore when I hear the military is considering a new round. The 6.8mm SPC was going to fix many of the problems, but never really got off the ground. The 45acp was going to make a come back, but who knows. Maybe the 338 will have better luck getting into service and staying there, but military doesn't change it's mind on calibers very often.

James,

They are with contractors. The spec ops units still get pretty much what they want but the standard issue STA guys kind of get the short end of the stick. Most everyone on the ground agrees that there are better tools for the job at hand but as you say the military is slow to change for the masses.

Last edited:
Shawn,

Just out of curiosity,

Do you know which bullet they are using? 300SMK?

Did you build the rifles?

Are you sending them ammo or are they "rolling their own" while they are over there?

Thanks,

Devin

The "Military" isn't getting 338's. SOCOM Units (those that don't already have them) "might" get 338's. Then again they might not. Most just got the 300's, and a lot believe that the new rounds are outperforming the 338.....

The trick to getting the 338's to "preform well" for soldiers is a good suppressor , this both greatly reduces recoil and all but eliminates muzzle flash.
I can't see in any way how a 190gr Sierra Match King launched at 2900-ish fps is gonna make a better round than a 300gr SMK launched at 2800 fps , they can be built on the same rifle so the size and shape is the same the rounds are both big and the Lapua isin't that much bigger than the 300 Win so being big and bulky realy isin't a viable excuse.

In my oppinion ALL sniper rifles should be suppressed , their no reason not to other than another piece of equiptment to keep up with but a good suppressor never has to be taken off the weapon except to clean.

I didn't say anything about A191.

The "outperforming" is a "use" thing. The belief is 1,500 is about the realistic maximum. When one factors in the range requirement, lower weight, lighter recoil, less blast, with the new loads that are doing VERY well to that range......

I do agree about suppressors.

The USMC just put out a bid for a 338 that will go corps wide so at least half the military is covered in this bid.

the new 338 Xtreme really looks like a winner and hot contender for that type bid. That is based of a 505 Gibbs case and 266 gr lathe turned bullet.

They have got the mftr down for their own proprietary bullets, brass, actions and barrels and that work with both SMKs and their bullets and do not copper shut in 15 rds. Looks like it runs rings around most everything else BC and distance wise and more than holds its own in accuracy. Brass is getting 15-20 reloadings too.

Plus Norma is going to release their new 338 Norma in Sep. Tim North of Broughton barrels was firing one this weekend at the PA World Open. He only had it two days so loads not totally tweaked. Looks like slightly shortened Lapua case that fits "standard mag box" with 300 gr SMKs and runs them 2850 out of 26" barrel. That makes it interesting for sure. with 25K of brass released first run in the US.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.