Military Packs for Hunting?

Re: Military Packs for Hunting?(Eberlestock)

+1 for the Eberlestock packs.

Speaking as a backpacker I think the Just One is THE most versatile hunting pack made.

Closed up for day hunts, opened up a little for carrying overnight bivouac gear or opened up all the way for carrying out quarters,

Re. Mystery Ranch packs:

Before starting up Mystery Ranch production Dana Gleason owned Dana Designs and made several great (al;though heavy) packs. He sold the name and company to a larger company and it eventually died out because they didn't have a clue about quality pack design.

I own his Dana Designs Terraplane, a real load hauler and weighing in at 7.5 lbs. I now only use it for winter backcountry trips B/C I need the extra space (7,000 cu. in. max) for bulky winter gear.

My 3 season pack is a 2007 REI Cruise UL 60 and it hauls anything I need including a bear canister for my food when necessary.

So Dana is a man who knows how to design a comfortable, high quality pack. 'Spensive? Yep, but worth it.

I would be wary of military packs. After market packs designed with troops in mind is one thing, but I personally would NEVER carry an issued pack on a hunt. They are not very adjustable, very heavy, and wear you down quickly. I just did a 12 mile ruck march a couple weeks ago which took 2.7 hours. My arms fell asleep and my shoulders hurt up to about three days after the march. We were only carrying about 40 lbs of gear. They hold a lot of weight but at the expense of your body. I would save up the money and buy a high quality commercial pack. Eberlestock and Mystery Ranch come to my mind as a couple of top tier companies. Keep in mind though that 1000d nylon is incredibly durable but not as comfortable or breathable as some other fabrics out there.

For the money the ILBE pack it's hard to beat. Complete packs can be found pretty cheap on ebay these days.

I picked one up a few years ago to play around with. I made a few modifications to suit my needs.

First I cut most of the MOLLE webbing off, this got the pack down to 6.5 lbs.

Second I swapped the original waist belt out for a used kifaru one. I have skinny hips and no butt, the original belt never fit me comfortably with any weight in the bag.

It's a little big for day hunts imho but cinches down fairly thin. I wanted to get some field time with it so I used it on my brothers elk hunt last week. It worked out great and hauled quarters out like a champ. I think I may use this one more often.

I've used a gen4 MOLLE frame and pad set the last 2 deer seasons. I cut the suspension off another pack I didn't care for and mounted it to the frame. I've packed out 2 coues bucks with this setup by cinching the meat between the bag and frame. The meat, head, antlers and gear weighed about 70lbs. The pack feels pretty comfortable at that weight, at least as comfy as 70lbs can feel. I wish the shoulder straps were less wide though. This pack also comes in around 6.5 lbs.

My final surplus pack is the Mystery Ranch SATL I got off ebay. It's my favorite of the bunch but it's brown and I'm scared to use it during rifle hunts so it's my archery bag. It weighs in at 4.5lbs, I added a little extra padding to the lumbar pad, ordered padded belt pieces from MR and swapped out the flimsy fiberglass stays with pieces of carbon arrow and got rid of the rolled foam body armor support things.

This pack is super comfy and light. I've only packed out a javelina with it, probably a 45-50lb load but it felt good. This would be my go to pack most of the time if it wasn't brown.

I've been using a surplus molle I picked up dirt cheap on ebay. I cut about half the straps off. It has worked great so far. I put lots of mile in with it for archery season and hauled out thee elk and a deer with it. It is a bit hot and a bit heavy. But for the price I think its hard to beat.

Persactly what GC BAILEY said!

Excepting the MOLLE modular pack, which is a heavy but well designed pack, I'd much rather carry an EBERLESTOCK Just One pack that has a rifle scabbard and is expandable to carry more gear or deer quarters.

Many of the replies on this thread indicate that their authors have done enough backpacking to know what a good (comfortable) pack should be. Then there are a few replies that plainly show their authors do not knowhow a good backpack is supposed to work and would not know a lift strap from a jock strap.

I started hunting again three years ago after a break of about 30 years. I'm still active duty and have been toting a rucksack for about that length of time. For hunting I'm using a modified Alice that I've carried for years. I know it's not the most comfortable pack but it's what I like. Over the years I've carried Lowa rucks when we first started looking at internal frame packs, Gregory's, and several others. Our rucks have advanced quite a bit over the years. We now have a set of Mystery Ranch packs issued. I still fall back on the modified Alice. I guess because I'm old and set in my ways. I guess the point of my babbling is that it's a case of whatever works for me. I have abused my Alice rucks beyond belief.
These modified Alice's are covered in various sized pockets and better hardware than the issued Alice. I like the big main compartment. I don't like how wide it is with the side pockets so last year I ended up adding compression straps to give it a more narrow profile.
With any Alice I do recommend improved shoulder straps and belt capable of carrying some of the load.
I have no doubt that all these hunting rucks are great. If I had $700 to spend on a pack....hell I'd buy a gun.
Thanks,
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_20140122_174801.jpg
    IMG_20140122_174801.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20140122_174841.jpg
    IMG_20140122_174841.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20140122_174509.jpg
    IMG_20140122_174509.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 197
I have followed this thread for sometime. I am looking at a military pack to use for my pack system. I am looking at the FILBE pack system that is currently used by the U.S. Marines. It will be mainly used for camping and not so much hunting. I don't pack in and hunt (although I would love to) but I carry a MUCH smaller day pack on my hunting trips now.

If you have any thoughts on the FILBE system please post them on the new thread I just started.

Thanks, BK

Granite Gear makes nice side pockets. Attatch them with short nylon web straps & plastic QR buckles.

REI sells the straps with buckles sewn on.

Side pockets are great for carrying gear you want in a hurry like 1st aid, potty kit, water treatment, etc. They usually increase pack volume by about 800 cu. in.+ or -, per pair.

The ruck in the pic is a Blackhawk. The Malice from Tactical Tailor is another good one. They come with the pockets already attached. I think their are several variations available.
I did check out a few of the Eberlestock the other day. They look very well made and well thought out. I would like to try one in the field someday.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.