Looking for a program that would help use the mildots for
ranging to different yards.
Say you go to 500 yard zero and you have a 100 zero at the top
and say a 8 or 900 yard at the bottom then use the mildot to
figure the different ranges 200 300 out to you maxium distance
without changing your power say 3.5 X 10 would be ranged at 10
power.
The head of an elk is about 18" so you could range and shoot
with aid mildot master a known distance your shooting..
just a thought...

Last edited:
Exbal or nightforce will do this for you and it what I use up to 600 yards. I read your post wrong I don't think exbal will do this, sorry for the messup

Last edited:
Your idea for the drop chart will work fine as you progress in the development.

The hard part will be the "ranging" with the mil dot. I'm tried and tried, and can't get it right. An example was a nice bull w/the a half hour of ranging. I kept coming up with 695 yards.

Got the range fired and went back to that spot, the Leica reported something like just under 400. If I were betting I'd have bet on the longer range. I took my neighbor to that spot, about 800 yds behind his house, He gueatimated "some where around" 600 yds. His Nikon agreed with my Leica.

He is an experience elk hunter and we, together, hunt yotes back there every winter, all winter. We were both amazed at how inaccurate our eyes were. An mine, even with the mil dot to help.

FWIW.

You need the Mildot master, its easy to use and comes in simple to follow instructions.

Here is the link to the Mildot Master Website

thankyou <- - - thats the link

Last edited:
I don't know about elk (hope to have my first experience with them in a few weeks) but the head of a deer would be the last thing I used for ranging...that part moves more then any other.
I have been piddle farting around with exbal over the past couple weeks and it has a power optimising feature (something like that). Maybe this is what you are looking for. Others here are much more versed on the matter so maybe they will chime in and let us both know. This thing needs an instructional DVD to go with it because I find something new every time I pick it up.

Looking for a program that would help use the mildots for
ranging to different yards.
Say you go to 500 yard zero and you have a 100 zero at the top
and say a 8 or 900 yard at the bottom then use the mildot to
figure the different ranges 200 300 out to you maxium distance
without changing your power say 3.5 X 10 would be ranged at 10
power.

I'm assuming that what u want to do here is zero the upper dot for 100 yds. to increase the range for reticle zeroing (in essence giving 9 more mil of trajectory compensation along the vertical axis of the reticle). That's OK if it's a 1st focal plane optic, or 2nd focal plane and never changing the power (once u change the power of a 2nd FP optic the only zero that will remain the same will be the zero at the optical center of the scope--the 500 yd. x-hair zero in your example).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts