mildot master

[ QUOTE ]
Is the mildot master universal or load specific?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is universal... but for ranging, they are quite difficult to use, especially on game. The are designed to be used on known objects like door frames, windows, etc.

With game, you don't know what the EXACT size of them is, so you can't range them.

A much better solution is a laser.

Catshooter,

10-4 & Roger That!!

Spent 20 min ranging a decent bull elk w/mil dot ret. After that time I decided that it was right at 595 yards. BTW I couldn't shoot at it, wrong tag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Later that same year I got the LRF. Lo and behold, it ranged at 395 yds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif He must have be a bull that didn't conform to the charts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Man Roy, i'm surprised to hear the ranging is that far off. I've been doing some testing with the 22 LR Rapid Reticle lately on antelope while coyote hunting, and haven't been anymore than 40 yds. off so far out to 500 yds.--tho certainly that's not accurate enuf really. Most of the ranging tho for me has been much better than guessing.

You need to understand that the Mil-Dot Master is a military tool, designed by Bruce Robinson (who was a long time woodchuck shooter).

It was first inspired by an Israeli sniper that Bruce knew. She needed some way to get faster ranges, and Bruce came up with the MDM.

A sniper knows the size of all the local items - the fire hydrants, the door frame size, the standard window size, the size of hub caps, and truck tyres, 55 gallon drums, etc... all within an inch or less. So when he is in position, he gets ranges from the local hot items, long before the target gets into view - rarely does he range on the victim, because people vary so much in hight and width. For ranging on the victim, the PSO-1 reticle is faster (but not more accurate).

The problem with ranging game is when you see an animal, how high from the ground to the back - is there grass, so you can't see the feet... and even if you could see the feet, exactly how tall is it?

The ability to use the MDM is directly related to your ability to know EXACTLY the size of the animal.

Interesting to know the history behind the MDM Cat.

I guess my point is it's better than guessing.

If Roy was using 30" back to brisket, at 400 yds. he should've got a mil reading of 2.1. If he was as much as 4" off the b-b meaurement, and still read 2.1 he would've only been +/- 50-60 yds. off the reading either way. Admittedly still not good enuf, but not 200 yds. off lasered.

When XP shot his cow elk this last year he mil-ranged it @ .8 mil. Figuring 20" b-b he was off by 28 yds., lasered @ 666. But again still not good enuf. Out to 400 yds + tho i'll take reticle-ranging if i need to, and have time, and i think i'd chance it on a coyote out to 500 or so-- especially if i can tell if it's a young dog or an older 1. I will always use b-b profile tho as it gives the least amount of angular error as far as i can see.

I have an MDM, but i haven't played with it for awhile. usually i'm reticle-ranging with ballistic reticles tho.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.