mil-dots should i or not?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by goose_slayer, Mar 16, 2005.

1. goose_slayer

goose_slayer New Member

i am wondering if i should buy a scope with mil-dots or not? i will be doing a lot of fast shooting like at running coyotes from anywhere from 100 to 500yds.

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I don't see how they can hurt and after a while you may become proficient with them and love them... they are great for movers and good for hold-overs.

3. wapiti13

wapiti13 Well-Known Member

I agree with Dave. MilDot may be the best reticle made if you don't want to dial every shot. Very fast and flexible.

4. fireroad

fireroad Well-Known Member

I wondered the same ting and just decided to go for it. Lot's of info on the web on how to use mil-dot and how to calculate holdovers Plus, mil-dot sopes seem to retain value better should you decide to upgrade in the future.

5. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Leupold makes a ballistic retical that you tailor to your load and they make your retical to match
    the drop chart.

It has a mil dot at 100 yards, zero (crosshairs) at 200 yards. mil dot at 300,400 and 500 yards.

It would work very well for your purpose.

The custom shop at Leupold wild do it for you, all you do is send them your load, bullet type,
    and BC, Velocity ,cartridge,barrel length,scope height, etc. and once you site in the other mil dots
    should be very close.

Just a though

J E CUSTOM

6. Ring

Ring Well-Known Member

i use them as a aiming guide if i miss, it makes a fellow up shot easy and fast