Mil-Dot Hold Over Question

Jeff, Bruce passed away about 2 weeks ago, i never got to meet him and thats a shame. we swapped some interesting emails though, he was a good man.
Coyotee, we hardly get any snow here these days buddy, winters are just wet. the Alps is the place to be for skiing, (and for mildot ranging them chamois !!
I believe in the KISS priciple, and the miliradians and meters is the simplest.
Pete

http://www.nfa.ca/nfafiles/cfjarchive/ballistics/ballisticscomputer.xls
you need excell to use...

this will tell you

load in this data
Caliber
Powder Type
Powder Wt (gr)
Case Type
Bullet Type
Primer

Ballistic Data
Velocity (fps)
Bullet Wt (gr)
Bullet BC
Start Distance
Range Increment
Altitude (ft)
Temperature (F)
Scope Ht (inch)
Zero Range (yds)
Wind Speed (mph)
Target Vely (fps)

and it will spit out a chart like this...

mil-testchart.jpg

Ring,

OUTSTANDIND!

Who ever developed the .xls is to be commended. I've been in the process of the same thing for about a year now.

Thanks for posting. Figure I'll donate to a worthy cause in behalf of the developer. Hate like heck getting something of great value w/o compensation of some sort.

Here is a question I could use help with that is related to this topic.

If my .308 shoots the crosshairs at 1100 yards and I have my turret adjusted all the way up (lets say 38 moa) how do I find out what distance the lower 5 dots will be zeroed at?

It is an odd problem for me because instead of matching Mils to range (3.6 @100 yards) I am trying to match range to Mils and intersecting a probable trajectory.

I will restate the question another way because I realy would like to know how to figure this out and I'm afraid I am not asking it very well.

If I shoot with my gun zeroed at 1100 yards and I come up 1 dot where (about) will I have to put my target to shoot center? Now if I come up to the second dot where will I have to put my target and so on.

I would like to add that I have been using the ballistics program at the link above for months now and I love it. Thanks to whom ever posted that thing originaly.

Here is my actual data entered onto that program.

Cal .308 win
Bullet Nosler J4
Muz vel 2575 fps
Weight 168 gr
BC .462
Alt 3100 ft
Temp 25 deg
Scope height 1.5"
zero@ 100 yds

I have confirmed the drops on paper out to 400 yards and so far it is right on. I also cranked up the turret to the end of its adjustment and shot a rock wall at almost exactly 1100 yards and shot within a 1 foot circle of where I was aiming. That is where I came up with that distance for the above question.

Thanks for any help I can get.

4ked Horn,

The answer's on your ballistic program if I'm understanding your questions correctly.

Use the Ballistic Page and use the Mil DROP column. That column tells you where to hold using your mil-dots at each range.

If that wasn't the answer to your question you were look'n for ..... sorry I gave it my best shot.
wink.gif

Yep, that was the answer. I don't know why I didn't figure that out before. I have played and played with that program but it never dawned on me.

I entered a start distance of 1000 yards and a zero range of 1100 yards and increments of 10 yards. Yhis is what I found

Crosshairs = 1100
-.5 mils = 1115
-1= 1135
-1.5= 1155
-2= 1175
-2.5= 1190
-3= 1205
-3.5= 1225
-4= 1240
-4.5= 1255
bottom post= 1270 yards

Thanks for the assist.

Dakor,

I have that program and few of us who tried it have uncovered a bunch of bugs. I have the excel program Dave King put on the board a few weeks ago and it works very well.

Both programs have a similar look and feel, but I have not uncovered any real bugs in Dave. Go to "sweet free ballistic calculator, with MOA and mil's" thread. There is a bunch of posts on both of these programs and you can down load Dave's from there.

Hope it helps
wink.gif

Another way to calculate it is to convert bullet drop at each range to its equivalent "inch per 100 yds." measurement by dividing the drop by its corresponding range in 100 yd. intervals. i.e., say 1200 yds. = 120"-- so 120/12=10", then divide the equivalent 100 yd. mil measurement in inches (3.6) into that to find out which mil-dot to hold for-- 10/3.6= 2.75 mils. Reworking the equation should give the fillowing from your figures:

.5 mil (1115)= -20" (approximately)

1.0 mil (1135)= -41"

1.5 (1175)= -62"-- etc.

5.0 mil (1270)= -226"

IF i have my math correct..?

[ 10-15-2004: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.