Microlon Gun Juice Report

Montana Rifleman great job of testing. Suppose you had a rifle that you are planning on rebarreling in the near future, would you try something that possibly increase the velocity, accuracy, and maybe get some more shooting time before the new barrel comes in? Anyone interested PM me with your questions and comments.

Thanks

21buck, I think anyone would be interested in a product like that. One of my biggest interests in GJ is the possibility it might increase barrel life, especially in overbore cartridges. When anyone clains a bore treatment can improve accuracy, I get a little skeptical. Other than the shooter, I credit accuracy (precision) with quality rifle components and craftsmanship and load qulity. I can entertain the idea a product might prolong barrel life, decrease fouling, decrease pressure/increase velocity and improve corrosion resistance.

Please feel free to share your proposal in this thread if you like. I would be very hesitant to try something that doesn't already have some sort of track record.

I am looking at a new barrel or two hopefully in the not so distant future. PM sent.

Mark

21buck, I think anyone would be interested in a product like that. One of my biggest interests in GJ is the possibility it might increase barrel life, especially in overbore cartridges. When anyone clains a bore treatment can improve accuracy, I get a little skeptical. Other than the shooter, I credit accuracy (precision) with quality rifle components and craftsmanship and load qulity. I can entertain the idea a product might prolong barrel life, decrease fouling, decrease pressure/increase velocity and improve corrosion resistance.

Please feel free to share your proposal in this thread if you like. I would be very hesitant to try something that doesn't already have some sort of track record.

I am looking at a new barrel or two hopefully in the not so distant future. PM sent.

Mark

I would like to point out that Microlon products are made to be used individually or with other products. Example: If you have a favorite product you use to break in the bore combine it with Gun Juice to see an improvement. Also in some muzzle loaders and shotguns I also would recommend using the Microlon Gun Juice combined with Microlon Assembly Lube to treat the bore. This will give you a much better application and you will notice a much better result.

Last edited:
I would like to point out that Microlon products are made to be used individually or with other products. Example: If you have a favorite product you use to break in the bore combine it with Gun Juice to see an improvement. Also in some muzzle loaders and shotguns I also would recommend using the Microlon Gun Juice combined with Microlon Assembly Lube to treat the bore. This will give you a much better application and you will notice a much better result.

I guess I'm a little confused now. I thought the bore needed to be clean of copper, carbon and other substances for it to soak into the pores of thematal? I was also under the impression that other "chemistry" would inhibit GJ's ability to bond to bore. Are you saying that GJ can be applied with a bore cleaner during break-in? This is also the first I've heard that Microlon Assembly lube should be used in the bore. Can you explain in detail how to use that with the GJ?

Thanks,

Mark

Mysticplayer's barrel was a Pacnor and my barrels were Remingtons. There's maybe a dozen members that have used GJ on their barrels, mostly custum ones, and this is the only report I know of where velocity dropped and it went down on the first shot. That's got me scratching my head.

OK. Well, there goes that theory...

I suppose in any general data set, there will be anomalies.

I wonder if others here have used GJ with a PacNor barrel?

Perhaps they have a special barrel metal recipe they use? I know Dan Lilja has a specific alloy recipe he used. But, it may be that PacNor doesn't do enough business to be able to ask for their own recipe.

I guess I'm a little confused now. I thought the bore needed to be clean of copper, carbon and other substances for it to soak into the pores of thematal? I was also under the impression that other "chemistry" would inhibit GJ's ability to bond to bore. Are you saying that GJ can be applied with a bore cleaner during break-in? This is also the first I've heard that Microlon Assembly lube should be used in the bore. Can you explain in detail how to use that with the GJ?

Thanks,

Mark
This is only the case of large bore firearms where the use of just GJ would be wasted because of the size of the bore. You mix the GJ and AL together and then put it on a patch and run it the same way that you would if you are doing a smaller bore with just the GJ. Also you can use the Microlon Assembly Lube as a polish for jewelry, the outside of your gun as well as anything that you would like to polish (I.E. - Rims etc..). There are much more uses if you don't mind taking a little time to mix the Microlon products together.

This is only the case of large bore firearms where the use of just GJ would be wasted because of the size of the bore. You mix the GJ and AL together and then put it on a patch and run it the same way that you would if you are doing a smaller bore with just the GJ. Also you can use the Microlon Assembly Lube as a polish for jewelry, the outside of your gun as well as anything that you would like to polish (I.E. - Rims etc..). There are much more uses if you don't mind taking a little time to mix the Microlon products together.

Well we're primarily focused on treating our bores with Gun Juice in the effort to reduce carbon and copper fouling, and potentially increasing the life of the barrel in this thread. Can you provide any additional detail, direction, or instruction on the proper application of Gun Juice in .22 to .375 caliber rifle barrels? We've been trying to stripe the bore of all carbon and copper fouling, swabbing the cleaned bore with a Gun Juice wetted patch, and then firing one round down the GJ wetted bore to set the Gun Juice to the bore. Repeating this process 10 to 20 times depending on whether we're treating a chrome moly barrel or a stainless barrel. Then as I understand the Microlon directions, repeating this process once about every 100 to 150 rounds fired after the initial treatment with Gun Juice for ongoing maintenance of the initial treatment.

Any further details or clarification to offer on this process?

When I called GJ directly about this, I was told to get all copper and powder fouling out before applying GJ again during the initial 20 shot process.

Thanks Jon. That's what I have done, but good to get your confirmation on the process. Microlon must be afraid to spell this out clearly in the written instructions provided with the product - for fear of driving away business due to the labor intensive application process.

Thanks Jon. That's what I have done, but good to get your confirmation on the process. Microlon must be afraid to spell this out clearly in the written instructions provided with the product - for fear of driving away business due to the labor intensive application process.

I wondered the same thing. It sure seems to be more labor intensive to do it correctly, from what I've been able to determine, than the info on the label...

You are doing it properly for the size bore you have, but it is only 10-12 times down the bore then you are done. If you need exact instructions:
GUN JUICE INSTRUCTIONS

I wondered the same thing. It sure seems to be more labor intensive to do it correctly, from what I've been able to determine, than the info on the label...

It is more labor intensive than the what the label says... didn't take me too long to figure that out :)

Of course, my barrels were real challenges. What complicated the process was removing the "chemistry" of the cleaning products, that 's one reason to accomplish a full break-in before treating. it makes the treatment process a lot simpler assumimg the break-in significantly reduces fouling.

With a good custom barrel, if figure my pain level would have been greatly reduced. I am happy that I can now clean my 25-06 in less than a day (including Wipeout/Gunslick Foam soakings) vs 5 days, but it took a whole lotta effort to get there. In the case of trying to "salvage" the 25-06, I dont think a pre=break-in would have helped much due to the conditon of the barrel. I suspect the GJ actually sealed copper into the cracks, but that is complete speculation. Wish I had a bore scope :rolleyes:

20 shots that require cleaning and nuetralization between each is labor intensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.