MGM 257 Wby

bates132

I bought a 257 wby barrel recently and have noticed something while breaking it in. Ive prolly got 80 rounds thru it now, and used the standard breakin ritual.. clean every shot for about 15, then every 3 or so for the first 40 orso. The past box ive shot i was noticing that after about 5 shots.. my groups really open up! I cn get 6 shots out of a clean barrel, including a "fouling" shot before it starts to scatter. Just wondering if this was common with a 257wby cuz this is the first one ive owned. Maybe the barrel just "fouls out" quick....

How fast are you shooting your groups? If your barrel isn't properly floated & you're shooting fairly quickly that could be a possibility. What powder are you using? Some powders are noticeably dirtier than others...

Couple of places to start anyway...

I was giving it around 5 or so minutes between shots. And i am still shooting factory weatherby ammo.. trying to get brass "the old fashion" way.... I really think that there is just a good amount of power still burning as it goes down tha barrel, and just fouling out quickly. But with no experience with this round, just figured i'd get some of yalls input. Thanx!

It is the factory ammo. It is not match quality ammo. It is hunting ammo. If it shoots inside 2" at 100 yards you are doing good. Get you some H-1000 or Retumbo and some good bullets and you will see what your rifle is capable of.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.