metallury question

6mm Shooter

At what temp. will the structure of the metal in my action and barrel start changing? The guy that is going to bake my powder coat wants to do it at 390 degrees. Is this to high?

400 Degrees is a common temp to draw back heat treated tool steel to reduce brittleness, increase toughness, and reduce some stress. This temp varies with the type of tool steel being used and the use of the tool. Just as important as the temp being used is the time that the tool is left at that temp. You need to leave the tool in question in the heat range set for a long enough period of time ( depending on material, material thickness, use of tool, etc. ) to have any real impact. I am specifically talking about lower temps, as a higher, more intense heat, i.e., acetlyene torch can have an affect in a very short time. It is doubtful, as already said, that the time and temp needed to bake your finish will have any affect.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.