Mercury Suppressor

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by gonewest, Mar 21, 2012.

1. gonewest

gonewest Well-Known Member

I am wondering if I put in a mercury suppressor in my 7mm mag stock will it help reduce the recoil alot? And what type of weight will this add to the gun? I had thought about a brake but due to the noise I changed my mind. I mostly shoot a .270 with 130-140 gr bullets. I don't want to develope any bad habits from this gun if there is alot more recoil. Can you guys help me out. Let me know if you have any experience with the suppressors or know someone with one. Thanks all info is appreciated.

2. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I saw them in my Brownells cat. 3''=8oz, 4''= 11 oz.They also have sizes to fit in a shotgun, as a round in mag or tube.

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

Mercury recoil reducers have been used for 50+ years by trap shooters. If they didn't work, they wouldn't use them. In rifles with very light synthetic stocks, many times it helps balance them so they aren't so muzzle heavy. If imbedded in a butt stock, the reducer has to be securely fixed, so it doesn't move at all, which can be quite a 'trick' in stocks that have a 'foam' filling.

4. Dskiper

Dskiper Well-Known Member

hello, I had a mercury recoil reducer installed in my HS Precision stock when I purchased it.It was aRem.700 in .375H&H.I say it kicked less than a wood stock 30-06 700 I have. Great invention!! dzs

5. 1100 Remington Man

1100 Remington Man Well-Known Member

I do use Mercury Supperssors in my Trap guns I have 2 in My Shotguns. I also have plane old grade 8 steel in 2 other shotguns I had turned out to size on a metal lathe 2 just the shape of a shotgun plug you put in the magazine for duck hunting & to tell you the truth both work it's a weight thing.