Meplat Uniforming (what is the best way to get rid of burrs)

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wildcat, Sep 6, 2005.

1. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

Hey guys, what does everybody use to clean the burrs away after meplate uniforming. Any suggestions? Thanks, Wildcat.

2. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be any burrs.....your cutter is dull or you are pushing to hard or something....I use the Tubb and don't have any burrs.
    But to get rid of yours....a quick spin on some sandpaper....320 grit should do it.

3. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

always get a little bur on the outside -- FINE steel wool takes care of it.

JB

4. abinok

abinok Writers Guild

Im still using the homemade tool I posted a while back, and it leaves a small burr too.... 0000 steelwool and its smooth as can be.

5. dcb

dcb Well-Known Member

Im new at this: Do what chris say , take light curs and dont push let the cutter do the job. turn it a few times when it goes aginst the stop,
    I cant feel any burs when I do it that way
    Dave

6. Kevin Cram

Kevin Cram <b>SPONSOR</b>

you should only be removing about .oo7" - .01" of the meplat to clean up. Any more than that is unnecassary. No mater how sharp your cutter is you will still get a very small burr in the outside of the bullet that you can catch with your finger nail. There shouldn't be any need to push hard at all. Like others have suggested use 0000 steel wool, one light twist and burrs gone.

7. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help guys. Chris, I will take your advise and not push so hard. Thanks, Wildcat.