Meplat or ogive modifications?

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Hey guys,

I have a load that is VERY hard to beat. When I say hard to beat, I meen on its worst day, it will shoot .5 MOA from 100-1000 yards. It works well with my reticle. With a 300 yard zero, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd mil are dead on at 400, 500 and 600 yards. The problem is that I have taken bears and sheep with this load and my buddie took his sheep at 600 yards with my rifle and this load. The 2 dall sheep were shot at 300 and 600 yards. Both times when the bullet struck the ribs they didnt expand. When the hit the shoulder bone, then of course even at 600 yards they expanded. The bullet in question is the 190 SMK. The MV is just over 2600 FPS. Have any of you modified the ogive or meplat of this bullet to help initiate expansion on semi soft targets such as the rib cage of a deer sized critter?

I also have a load that shoots .3 MOA on a bad day but at 1000 yards the bullets are starting to key hole. I dont want to hunt with a load that key holes. The tests I have done with this load, which is a 178 AMAX at 2550 FPS has been at sea level in 30 degree air or colder. Do you think that at 50-65 degrees at 5000 feet it would not key hole at 1K? or do you think it wouldnt have much differance? If they dont key hole I will probably use the 178 AMAX vs the 190 SMK.

Thanks guys!
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.