Measuring your powder.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by kc, Oct 16, 2009.

1. kc

kc Well-Known Member

At this time I have Beam type scale for reloading....what is your opinion of the Digital design?

2. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

For the past 1 1/2 years I have been using a Chargemaster digital with great success. I just recently sent it in for repair as the on/off switch quit working, and have been using my beam scale lately. I am not nearly as fast with the beam scale, and have to use a magnifying glass to see if I am right on for my charge weight. I miss my Chargemaster.

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I have and use both types and would not take for ether one.

I use the chargemaster for most bulk loading. and the beam scale for working up test loads
    where I might only load 3 to 5 loads befor I change the powder charge.

I also have a digital scale that is great for weighing brass and/or bullets. (Very Fast).

They all have there strong points.

I have a very good beam scale and I use it to check both digital scales because every now and
    then they will go off on the calibration and this is a good way to verify there accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

4. htduckman

htduckman Active Member

I retired my beam scales years ago when the Mrs bought me a Dillon Determinator for my birthday.I didn't trust it at first and weighed charges with it and then checked them with a beam scale.It was never more than 1/10th of a grain off.
    Now I have used it so long I can tell when it "hiccupps".
    I just rezero it and then weigh the charge again.
    Next on the list is a Pact digital measure/scale system.
    Howard

5. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

"what is your opinion of the Digital design? "

Digital powder scales of any type are a solution for problems I don't have. But, other than being vastly more pricy than they should be, more than a bit quirky and relitively short lived, I suppose they are good enough. Those lucky enough to get a "good one" (many don't) seem to like them...until they crach anyway. (Digital stuff does that you know!)

Lessee, Chinese digital cell phones (cost as little as $12) are much more complex and rugged than Chinese digital scales/powder dumpsters that sell for 30 times more money. Maybe someone's getting ripped by our reloading companies?

6. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

I started Ohaus triple beam, moved up to Dillon D-Terminator, Then to Chargemaster. I also have an Acculab to doublecheck things.

IMO, my Dillon is an excellent reloading scale overall, and the Acculab is not a reloading scale at all, as it is too sensitive and time consuming(albeit, incredibly accurate).
    But;
    The chargemaster represents a huge leap forward in reloading, and is my favorite.
    Fast as my Dillon, accurate enough, and sweet controlling of powder charges.
    I could purge all else at this point.