Mcwhorter rifles

Ultramag45

Anybody hear any news about these guys custom Rifles...Quick turnaround time, stiller actions, 1/2 moa to 600 yards load work and broke in...and 20 rounds of loaded ammo....Mcmillan stocks, pretty good stuff...

They usually have about 30 custom rifles for sale on Gunbroker.com. I purchased a 300 RUM, Remington 700, McMillian stock, Hart barrel from them on Gunbroker 4 or 5 years ago. The rifle shoots fine. I sold it to my elk outfitter for what I paid for it. It has since accounted for several trophy bull elk and a moose or two.

A close friend of mine recently purchased a rifle from McWhorter's. Pretty much their standard build Stiller action, McMillian stock, Hart barrel. But for some reason he bought it in 7mm/300 Win Mag. ? I know McWhorter's builds 7STW's. I guess this one was in stock and he didn't want to wait for an STW.

Both of these rifles are well constructed. The price is a little on the high side but their rifles are in stock ready to ship, that beats the hell out of waiting a year.

I own seven of their rifles and one of their muzzleloaders. Tim and Allen put together some exceptionally accurate rifles.

McWhorters use only the very best components, Stiller or Borden actions, Hart or Krieger barrels, Jewel Triggers and McMillian Stocks. It would be pretty difficult to build a rifle that wouldn't shoot. They break the barrels in doing load development, the ammo that I've seen is loaded with Berger VLD bullets.

So for the most part all McWhorters needs to do is not screw up the chamber, crown or bedding.
These rifles are built with benchrest quality components they will out shoot the shooter.

They make great shooting platforms. Im yet to see one that didnt shoot less than .5moa.a good friend has one in 300win and it shoots .275 center to center groups with match handload bergers.

I recently made a road trip down to their shop to see what they are about. What I found was a couple of friendly guys who make a nice product. I did have an opportunity to shoot one of their rifles and I was able to make 500 yard shots on their private range. However in the end, I did not purchase from them since I think you can get the same product for much cheaper from other reputable builders.

Just my opinion.

They produce the best custom turn key rifle....IMO.

I let one of my bench rest friends shoot my 6.5 WBY. He shot a legit 0.143 4 shot group with it (I didn't have a 5th shell and he couldn't resist a 4th round).

I have 2 rifles and 1 ML from those guys and a 300 RUM by Tim and Allan is in my future.

I just don't see how you can go wrong with a McWhorters.

One thing that has not been mentioned is McWhorter, as opposed to many rifle builders, has an inventory of components, actions, barrels, McMillan stocks, jewell triggers, etc. They can normally build a first class rifle in very short order. Perhaps that in part justifies a bit of a premium.

I purchased a Mcwhorters rifle in 2013 and without going into great detail I will just say that I will in no way ever do business with them again.
If they were selling there rifles for half price I still would not do business with them.
The rifle I bought from them is now shooting good but I had to many issues to list and don't believe their money back guarantee. They will always have an excuse not to pay it.
I will say this. I will never buy another custom rifle from anyone before I go to the builder and watch them in person shoot a .5" group at 100yds and not just once but multiple times.

I purchased one of there 7 stw this summer and I couldn't be happier. It shoots tiny little groups or 1 little bigger 1 hole group. Thanks Allen

Sample group

Attachments

• IMG_20151018_181105.jpg
    IMG_20151018_181105.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 223
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.