McWhorter Rifles

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by leaddog, Jun 11, 2009.

1. leaddog

leaddog Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with these rifles? Good or bad. Looking at one for a the 338 lapua hunting rifle.

2. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

I certainly do not, but I'm sure someone here does. Have you looked into one of the sites gunsmith's. I feel pretty confident saying you can't go wrong with any of them. Lots of guys on here have used them. I've even used one of 'em:).

3. adam32

adam32 Banned

Expensive...not sure other then that...

4. kweidner

kweidner Well-Known Member

Tim McWhorter is a first class gun smith. He used to do rimfire benchrest and has built many an award winning gun. I own a sporter he built for BR50 years ago. YES I know you will not believe this but it is capable of shooting in the zeros. That is less than .10 of an inch 5 shot groups. Mine is a sako action built with a stith stock, lilja tight .22lr bbl, a jewel 2oz trigger. Mcwhorter smithed this and it is a true shooter. He no longer builds rimfire guns and focuses solely on Centerfire from what I understand. Any smith that can make a rimfire gun shoot in the zeros is certainly capable of making an incredible centerfire weapon. I know there are differences but accuracy comes from the attention to details. No matter the flavor, a true action is a true action, an incredible bedding is incredible bedding, a trigger properley set with no creep that breaks consistently at the same .........You get the point. To answer your question an emphatic yes.

5. txsendero

txsendero Well-Known Member

I have a Sendero SFII that McWhorter rebarreled, bedded, braked, and accurized. It is now a very good shooter. With a little reloading work, consistently shoots 168 gr VLD's into 3/8-1/2" groups @ 100 yds.

6. Terry1963

Terry1963 New Member

I now have three McWhorter rifles and solidly recommend these guns. VERY accurate, well put together, balanced, and they perform as advertised. I have worked with both Allan Rovig and Tim McWhorter on building my guns and they were very knowledgeable and helpful in my selection process.

7. ifenceuin

ifenceuin Well-Known Member

Absolute top notch from quality to finish to results. you will not be disappointed. i have three.....

8. drwindmill

drwindmill Well-Known Member

Old post woke from the dead, but I'll comment since it's here. I have one in a 300 WBY and it is definitely a one-holer. They break the gun in and even develop a load in the bullet of your choice. Although, they used Vih N165 and I now only use H1000. I am very satisfied with my McWhorter Rifle.

9. Dalebow

Dalebow Well-Known Member

My Custom 300wsm is a freaking awesome rifle. Super accurate .20 with 180gr TTSX, balanced, beautiful McMillan stock, all metal coated, bottom metal is flawless, trigger is crisp.........best $5000 I ever spent on a rifle:D

10. Tyler Sims Outfitting

Tyler Sims Outfitting <strong>Official Sponsor of LRH</strong>

I have had the opportunity to guide Tim Mcwhorter and see his guns in action. Great gunsmith with great guns.

11. OLI62

OLI62 Well-Known Member

I own five McWhorter rifle's and as others have said they are absolute tack drivers. I'll probably add a sixth this year.