McMillan Stocks?

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by skip AI, Jan 12, 2006.

1. skip AI

skip AI Well-Known Member

Would anyone be able to tell me if McMillan make stocks to suit Sako L691 actions and heavy barrels?

I have never purchased a stock on its own before and have no idea if you have to get a smith to make them fit or what?!

any info is appreciated

cheers

2. Peter Hutcheson

Peter Hutcheson Active Member

Hi, here is a URL link that might be of interest, and if not then I would definitely e mail MacMillan, as they are most helpful in my own experience.

I have a Sako stock that they inlet for the Tikka 595 action, and it is a fine piece of kit. I ordered thru a gunsmith here in UK, but they were just as happy to take a direct order. Good Luck with your project!

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan/hunting/sako.asp

3. skip AI

Thanks Peter, when they say "minor customising" what has to be done?

cheers

4. Ronin

Ronin Well-Known Member

Skip

Iv'e dealt with Mcmillan a couple of times, they are very, very helpful and will answer any questions you have promptly. If you e-mail Kelly Mcmillan direct at this address - kelly@mcmfamily.com you should get the answer you want.

They do have profiles for alot of older Sako actions and can inlett - where possible other makers stocks to suit your action inlett.

I have found that here in the UK, importers tend to just swap the $ sign for a £ sign instead of converting at the exchange rate - I am not sure what the situation is in Oz but to avoid being ripped off, I would certainly consider going direct.

Andy

5. Peter Hutcheson

The minor customising probably refers to the detail fit of the Tiika tang on the rear of the action, I know that Callum at PRS had to 'firkle' with it to get a perfect fit, and thats one of the reasons I had the stock supplied and fitted by a proper gunsmith, during the custom project, rather than making a mess of the 350$ stock by doing it myself. If I knew how to add photos easily in the site, I could send you one, but...... I don't have web hosting and all that stuff for a few pics. LOL

Once again, good luck, whichever way you decide to go, you wont regret it.

Peter H

6. Brown Dog

Brown Dog Writers Guild

Peter,
    Wow! Ordering a stock through Callum must be THE most expensive option available in UK! ..how much did he 'rush' you to fit it?

7. Ronin

Ronin Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The minor customising probably refers to the detail fit of the Tiika tang on the rear of the action, I know that Callum at PRS had to 'firkle' with it to get a perfect fit, and thats one of the reasons I had the stock supplied and fitted by a proper gunsmith, during the custom project, rather than making a mess of the 350$ stock by doing it myself. If I knew how to add photos easily in the site, I could send you one, but...... I don't have web hosting and all that stuff for a few pics. LOL

Once again, good luck, whichever way you decide to go, you wont regret it.

Peter H

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete,

I think that this is what you are referring to?

[​IMG]

IMHO

it makes no difference whatsoever to the way the rifle shoots, it may be just a little of an "oversize" fit at the tang, but when the gun still shoots in the .3's after a couple of thousand rounds, who cares.

FWIW, this stock (Sako Varmint inltted for Tikka 595)cost me £260 to import with tax and the dreaded vat included, i'd like to see PRS match that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

PRS may have a reputation for fine work, but there are alot cheaper smiths of comparable quality out there if you look.

8. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

there's a post going over on precisionlongrangehunter.com about getting a laminated wood stock that's an exact copy of the a-5 MacMillan.inletted for your action but is not final sanded and finished.alterations can be ordered.price is around 265 with a very quick delivery time.the post answers about any question or you can e-mail jkrussos@comcast.net for more info.

9. skip AI

Thanks for all the info, I probably wont need it till mid year but I thought I might get it early to save waiting when I do.

cheers

10. Peter Hutcheson

Brown Dog

Hi, I appreciate your 'concern', however the cost was no more than one normally pays for a competent craftsman to carry out the supply and fit of a custom stock. The result is in line with my expectations, and I expect the quality to be remembered long after the price is forgotten.
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    TTFN

11. Peter Hutcheson

Andy, Thanks for the pic, you are right in your assumption , the stock that I have is a Sako Hunter pattern inletted for the Tikka 595. so the shape around the tang is somewhat different to that which you have, and it is a very neat fit.

Cheaper gunsmiths there certainly are, however for several reasons I elected to have PRS do the the rebarrel and customising work, and I am pleased with the result, the rifle shoots in the .3's also and is aesthetically pleasing to my eye. That's what I asked for, and that's what I was delivered, on time, within estimate. On that basis I would go back to PRS for a similar customising project. Nuff said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Peter Hutcheson

Andy

I have at long last taken some pics of the rifle, and would happily email them to you if you re interested to have a look. I still havent got to grips with this pic posting millarky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

TTFN

Peter

13. Peter Hutcheson

At long last , maybe this will work ?

[image][​IMG][/image]

[​IMG]

14. Ronin

Ronin Well-Known Member

Peter,

thanks for the belated photographs. The tang area does indeed look better for attention with Callums file! It is a pity that MacMillan didn't get the fit right in the first place - nevermind.

When I carried out the bedding work on my stock, which, is the painted Grey colour - not the moulded in colour you have, I found that beneath the surface of the paint, the stock was a pinkish colour, so I have left the area around my tang well alone, as I have said, I can live with it and the rifle shoots pretty well without further fettling.

Andy