Mcmillan EOL Outdoosman Family Outing

Long Time Long Ranger

Just had a beautiful weekend to get outdoors. So my family went out and tested some long range loads at various ranges with the Mcmillan Outdoorsman test rifle. We all had so much fun I wanted to mention it before I got the pictures ready to download. The rifle is just a pure pleasure to shoot and the entire family enjoys shooting and hunting with it. My wife and son love it because of the light weight and ease of handling. My wife doesn't like my heavy long range rifles but loves to shoot this one long range it has such a good feel to it. Mcmillan thought of everything on this one from the slick feeding action to the ergonomic feel and precise craftmanship. It feels like a handy carry rifle but has incredible long range capability.

It is chambered in 300 EOL magnum which is a 300 RUM with a diffent throat for the use of long range VLD hunting bullets like the 210 Berger. We started out on a 400 yard target to check zero and let my wife and son get a good feel for the rifle. We dialed it in for 400 yards and shot a beautiful group right at an inch about 1/2" to the left of the bullseye. Great way to start off a good range session, .25 MOA for starters. We went on to shoot it at varying distances out to about .75 miles. I can't remember a group that didn't hold 1 MOA. I was getting my drops dialed in for my upcoming bear hunts. They are spot and stalk hunts so the range could be out there a ways. I really just can't say enough about the beauty of having such a light, easy handling hunting rifle capable of such extreme accuracy.

It is pushing 1 AM but just wanted to get a thread started about another range session with the rifle. I will be out of town tommorrow but Tuesday I will get some pictures up of some targets and all the fun shooting it. All of our groups were with my Retumbo accuracy load and the 210 Berger long range hunting bullet. I will list all that data with the target pictures. Even with the lightweight rifle and the heavy 210 grain bullets along with heavy powder charges my wife thought the rifle was very pleasant to shoot. When we are concentrating on the target and the rifle fires the recoil is just not noticeable. Top rifle design, accuracy and the excellent muzzle brake make this rifle a pleasure to shoot.

LTLR,

Thanks for the rifle review. Sounds like a very nice setup.

Just for clarification, is the cartridge 300 RUM?

And, they're just calling the chamber 300 EOL magnum to indicate that it's throated longer?

Have/will they publish a chamber/reamer print? Or, is this something that one could get direct from PTG?

Would there be any concern shooting factory 300 RUM ammo? I wouldn't think so.

I always knew that smiths would do custom throating on many cartridges. I just wasn't aware that they'd change and/or trademark it as a new name until Carlock announced the Edge +P which alledgedly is more sophisticated than simply increasing throat/freebore. ...curious if there's a new trend here.

Thanks!
Richard

Here are the target pictures and a few family pictures at the range shooting it. This rifle just continues to shoot amazing groups for a light hunting rifle. 10" at 1250 yards is pretty sweet. The three 400 yard groups on one target shot by me, my wife and son I thought was nice with all in the +1" range.

It is the 300 RUM and shoots factory cartridges excellent. I posted some of those targets in the review I did in the long range hunting forum. They will probably keep the reamer proprietary but I do not know. Hope all enjoy the pictures. It seams 91.5 to 92 grains Retumbo works well with the 210 Berger in this rifle.

mcmillan family 008.jpg

mcmln fmly 018.jpg

mcmln fmly 023.jpg

mcmln fmly 031.jpg

mcmln fmly 026.jpg

I dont own but 1 30-30 pre-64 that I was ahnded down last year.That rifle makes me want a 30 cal

I can't remember from the last thread but this is the 7.5 lb gun right, not the heavier one?

That is some impressive shooting my friend!

Scot E.

Thanks Scott,

It is an impressive rifle! It is the same hunting rifle. I think 7.5 or 7.75 pounds without scope. I have not taken the scope off to weigh it. The precision they built this rifle with is a work of art to get this light a rifle to shoot this well. My family has quite a few years shooting long targets and all have taken long range animals but with this light a rifle it is special. My son would show out on the range at my little hobby gun shop going through a line of gallon water jugs at a quarter mile and not miss with his 243 AI target rifle. He was maybe 7 at the time. But the top long distance shooting has always been with heavy target rifles designed for it.

We all are extremely pleased with this rifle.

Shot quite a bit over the weekend again with my son trying some new loads. Had great success with 200 grain accubonds, 208 Amax and the new 200 grain Cutting Edge bullet. We shot great groups with all the bullets and loads we tried holding in the .25-.5 MOA range. The Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman rifle is just amazing with accuracy over a wide range of bullets and weights. Basically we have been able to work up good loads with everything we have shot in it.

We kept the range close while trying new loads and bullets and didn't go over 600 yards with any bullet. I was very impressed with the Cutting Edge 200 grain. The CE bullets shoot faster than lead core for some reason and this was true again as we got extreme accuracy over 3300 fps. The 200 accubond also shot very well accuracy wise but maxed out at 3240 fps. The Cutting Edge bullet gives a great advantage by being able to drive it faster plus the benefit of the extreme bc per bullet weight. I am loading some more and doing some 1000 yard drops to see what I get for bc with the 200 grain CE. They list .62 but with the length and shape of that bullet I wouldn't be surprised if it went higher. The 200 grain CE bullet is way longer and sleeker looking than either the 208 Amax or 210 Berger bullet.

All three bullets are shooting exceptional groups out of the rifle. Just a pleasure to shoot it everytime we go out with it. My son gets to hunt a bull bison this year in Wyoming and we are deciding which bullet to try on it and a few more hunts. We got permission to hunt an incredible trophy antelope hole and all three of us are anxious to see what the Mcmillan Outdoorsman will do at long range antelope.

The camera batteries died so I will get some target pictures up later when I get some new batteries.

I found a couple older pictures from a family outing with the rifle that I don't think have been posted. I do not remember which one of us shot the groups but it does show the accuracy potential of the rifle. They are self explanatory.

mcmln fmly 038.jpg

mcmln fmly 035.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.