McMillan A3 or HTG?

KPK

What's you guys thoughts on this? I want a rig that I can carry (not miles upon miles, but...), have a good cheek weld (McMillan A-3 for sure), etc.

I don't want to get the A-3 and feel like it's another "Tacticool" "Sniper" rifle. I want a custom hunting rifle, and feel the McMillan A3 is a good compromise...

Let me know what you're thinking...

I'd buy a McMillan A-3 here at Long Range Hunting. They have them in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys. Love that .260! That looks perfect...

Here's my deal. I got a Surgeon RSR for my build and a few days later found a HTG stock w/o adjustable cheek. Now I'm looking around thinking I would be better off selling it and getting either an adjustable A3, HTG, or maybe a3 Sporter. I really like the looks of that HTG on the SSG 260!

Another problem I have with the HTG I got is that it's for a Remington S700. Not that it's a big deal to modify, but I'm anal when it comes to having things right...is that a big deal to you guys?

Forgive me S700? One thing I have learned if you aren't happy now you won't be later. Get what you want. It will save you money in the long run. I am speaking from experience here.

Brent

I put this rifle together last winter. Was wanting a splitter between a backpack rifle and a dedicated long range rifle. I chose the Adj. HTG and am happy with the finished rifle.

It finished at 10.75 lbs

Rifle_2.JPG

If you like the feel of an A3 but want light carry, look at the A3 Sporter. Mcmillian released it this year at the shot show. The one below is a 6.5-06AI with a Pierce action 27" Pac-nor #4 fluted barrel, McMillian A3 sporter with EDGE technology and a 6.5-20x40 LR scope. This rig runs right at 8 lbs 4 ounce. If that is not light and functional, dunno what is.

IMG_0774resize.jpg

This one's a bit heavy with the Can and rem var contour barrel, but the HTG could carry a lighter stick (something in the 8-9lbs range)

5212_795795771965_23438853_47718013_1540871_n.jpg

The problem with the HTG is comb height. My rifle (pictured) has to have the check peice adjusted all the way up for me. I have to lower it to remove the bolt. My A3 is much better. I got it for a heavy build; It doesn't have the comb issue. I don't know how light you could go with the A3.

I also really like the McM. Rem Varmint Stock. Real nice feel for a mid weight hunter.

Do you think the A3 with a #5 barrel would be ok? I have had so much good direction to stay with a HTG and I know in my head it's probably the best way to go, but **** I love the A3 and A5 stocks. Comb height, looks, etc. I just can't make my mind up. Don't want to take an A3 on an Elk hunt in the mountains and regret it every step I take with a big combersome stock...

If you do the A3 sporter you will be fine. You have all the advantages of the A3 without the bulk. I have seen them on Broughton 5.75 and they seem to work just fine. Pack weight shoild he around 9.5lbs if the edge package was added. I liked them well enough to switch all my rifles to them.

Can you get the A3 sporter with an adjustable cheek rest? If not, maybe a Defensive Edge model would fit the bill?

Looks good, but what is the weight difference between the A3 and A3 sporter?

I am not sure if you can get it with an adjustable cheek, but the DE would work for sure. If you get the A3 with the edge they weigh about 26-28ounces. The Mold in version comes in at 34-39 ounces. I know the edge stocks are lighter than the sporter HS precision stocks as I switched one over and the rifle lost about 2 ounces of weight. They are really nice stocks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.