Mcgowen and shillen questions

coloradoultramag

I had a guy tell me that Mcowen barrels are made to the same tolerences as shillen Select Match grade barrels. I thought mcgowen barrels were made to .003 and shillen select match grade were made to .001. So I would think that the shillen would be at least a little more acurate than the mcgowen. Am I wrong. Are there other things to consider when decideing what custom barrel to buy other than .002 of an inch?

Thanks again for all the great advice, Gabe

Gabe,
I would just give McGowan a call and ask them.
I have heard some very good things about their barrels accuracy wise.
I will be wringing some their barrels out myself around the first of the year.

I have had 5 Shilen and 2 McGowen barrels. I have had problems with a few of the Shilens and both of the McGowens are great.

I have only owned 1 McGowen barrel (a 6mm 1-10" twist) that was made 20 years ago. It could have just been a fluke or the quality control has had a major overhaul in the last 2 decades, but the 1 McGowen barrel that I did own was neck and neck with the 2002 Suzuki RM 125 that I bought for my son as being the 2 most HEINOUS purchases I have ever made, for the small ammount of money it will cost you just buy a Krieger and you wont have any problems IMO.
UB

I have only owned 1 McGowen barrel (a 6mm 1-10" twist) that was made 20 years ago. It could have just been a fluke or the quality control has had a major overhaul in the last 2 decades, but the 1 McGowen barrel that I did own was neck and neck with the 2002 Suzuki RM 125 that I bought for my son as being the 2 most HEINOUS purchases I have ever made, for the small ammount of money it will cost you just buy a Krieger and you wont have any problems IMO.
UB

UB,
There has been a complete change as far as the one who is at the wheel now-new ownership and staff.

To be fair to McGowen barrels, this is not the same company, it was bought out and moved back west. The original barrels made excellent jack handles. They kept the name but they are made to todays exacting tollerances. When i found out they were under new ownership i called and talked to Jon about his products, i ordered several in differnt cals to test, they worked just as good as any other. My 375 snipetac will hold .5 moa at 700yds, my Lawton and Rock barrels do the same. The McGowen barrel through the break in process was cleaning up after 5 shots. I was very impressed. Exterior finish is very nice and fluting was good, i would of liked a bit deeper flutes. I liked the fast turn around time, 3 weeks. This however might not last if they start getting reconized.

Dave

McGowen has new ownership in the last year or so. They moved all the machines up here to Kalispell MT. When I ordered a barrel from them I got to tour their shop. They have one goal, to be the best barrel maker around. They are all about doing it right, and making sure that we are happy with their product. I am very happy with my dealings with them, and I will use them again.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.