mcgowan vs pac nor barrels

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by timmymic, Sep 15, 2013.

1. timmymic

timmymic Well-Known Member

Looking for a Remington prefit and was wondering which one of these barrels or any others has the best quality?!?!

2. ZSteinle

ZSteinle Well-Known Member

Can't speak for PAC nor but I've been impressed with my McGowan. My pre fit was at my door in 5 days from order and will just just about any load I throw through it under 3/4 moa

3. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

I have been very happy with McGowen barrels.

Steve

4. timmymic

I guess a more important question would be how much difference is this going to be from a factory sps varmint barrel?!? I haven't bought one yet so don't know there out of the box accuracy but wanted to know if one of these barrels would improve that? Plan on putting it in a manners mini chassis!

5. Max Heat

Max Heat Well-Known Member

It all depends on which McGowen profile that you opt for. I have a drop-in on order right now (there is currently a 12-week backlog) that is a 32" #8 heavy target (1" at muz) profile,

Glad to see the thumbs-up ratings for McGowen!

P.S. - If you mean't that you are planning to match the factory barrel's contour, then I don't know.

6. CPGfan

CPGfan Well-Known Member

I've had several PAC-Nor bbls over the years and all have shot great. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one.

7. sinarms

sinarms Well-Known Member

I have worked on a lot of Mcgowen barrels. I have seen them come in the wrong contour, not threaded correctly, bore vary in size a lot from one end of the barrel to the other and between same caliber barrels. I have used a few pacnors that were good. My favorite barrel company is Brux.

8. Max Heat

Max Heat Well-Known Member

Ouch, that's unsettling. I guess I gotta cross MY fingers now and operate on pure hope, that mine will end up being a good one. I thought it was a GOOD sign, that McGowen is running under a 3 month backlog. I don't have the patience to wait the 9 months that my local smith Bobby Hart said it is now taking for him to receive blanks from his own kin!

9. sinarms

sinarms Well-Known Member

The last blank I received from Mcgowen took 6 months. It usually takes 12-15 weeks for a Brux.

10. dogdinger

dogdinger Writers Guild

I will throw in a plug for pac-nor here. I have 2 and both shoot lights out. 338 edge and a 6x284. customer service was great, barrels were delivered a week before the promised time. AJ

11. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

I have a PacNor on my 30.06. Best thing is that barrel just doesn't foul. I used my 30.06 on my CO bear a week or so ago and it has the PacNor on it. It is a good barrel. Not my best. Don't know about the McGowan.

I have a 30 cal Brux in my safe that I plan on building another 30.06 so I really can't wait. Only reason I'm leaving my current .06 as is ...is because it was built by the late John Noveske. That rife will never change as long as I own it. Only reason it has a PacNor is bc John used to work there and he got it to me at a great price so I went with it.

I tend to stick towards the big names as I honestly don't care about the wait. Plus you can find many cut rifled bbls on bugholes, which is where I got my Brux.

I'd easily take a Krieger, Bartlein, Brux, Obermeyer for cut barrels or a Hart, Shilen, Broughton, or Lilja for buttoned tubes.

My top 2 pics are Hart and Krieger.

12. timmymic

So if i were to go with one of these nicer barrels how much improvement in accuracy should i expect over a stock remington varmint barrel?!?!

13. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

Well, your question is dependent on more than just the barrel, such as who is building the rifle for you? What are the other components? etc.

That said, there is, in my opinion, a truly remarkable difference in a custom barrel by a top tier company v. a factory Remington barrel.

I do not own and will not shoot a rifle that is factory. Just my preference.

14. timmymic

i was going to get a sps varmint and couldnt decide if i wanted to keep the barrel or put a different one on but it is going in a manner t4a with the mini chassis! is that what you were asking?