Maybe feeding issue with HS precion clip?

elmerdeer

I just recieved my build back from the smith, 7mm Dakota on a predator stiller action, Hs precison DBM and clip, jewell trigger and a rock barrel #4 countour at 24.5" with a painkiller muzzle brake on it. Here is my question when I load the detachable mag with EMPTY 7mm Dakota brass it will no feed the Empty one at all! But when I put a dummy round in it it seems to feed it ok, but the bullets seems to touch the ramp alot! Is this normal for this type of Detachable magazine??? And will the runout of my bullets be affected when touch the ramp to get fed into the chamber?
Thanks
Elmer

Here's the deal with H/S floor metals.

They are height sensitive. A guy has to make sure you get it close enough to the action so that the geometry between the feed lips and the ramp are appropriate. The general rule is get them as close as you can without the lips contacting the bolt or the floor mortises in the action.

While this sounds great and all it can really be a pain in the arse because if a smith cares anything about presentation he's going to quickly discover that in most cases the floor metal gets buried in the stock; ruining anything that is even remotely supposed to resemble a custom rifle.

From what you've described, I would speculate to say that your rifle will work fine. If it starts transfering lots of brass onto the feed lips or the ramp perhaps consider either doing a little fluff and buff or reducing the "angle of attack" by getting the floor metal a little closer to the action. Just don't go too far cause you'll have a real mess on your hands then. Measure twice, cut once. . .

Good luck.

C

Last edited:
Here's the deal with H/S floor metals.

They are height sensitive. A guy has to make sure you get it close enough to the action so that the geometry between the feed lips and the ramp are appropriate. The general rule is get them as close as you can without the lips contacting the bolt or the floor mortises in the action.

While this sounds great and all it can really be a pain in the arse because if a smith cares anything about presentation he's going to quickly discover that in most cases the floor metal gets buried in the stock; ruining anything that is even remotely supposed to resemble a custom rifle.

From what you've described, I would speculate to say that your rifle will work fine. If it starts transfering lots of brass onto the feed lips or the ramp perhaps consider either doing a little fluff and buff or reducing the "angle of attack" by getting the floor metal a little closer to the action. Just don't go too far cause you'll have a real mess on your hands then. Measure twice, cut once. . .

Good luck.

C
Thank you for your reply, I figured it out after alot of cussing and yelling lol,it seems to feed ok now without the bolt taking scraping my brass and trying to double feed the shells! Thats why the hs dbm comes with those washers,who would have known. I dont like to have the washers but i guess I will have to live with it!
Thanks
Elmer

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.