Max magnification

Gray R

Hey guys I'm sure it's been beat to death already but when I ask the question I don't ever get a solid answer. I'm in south east georgia it gets cold ish in the winter and hot the other 10 months. I'm thinking of getting a nightforce to add to my rig and I don't wanna spend the coin and get one that isn't the best for what I'm gonna do which is casual target and gong shooting out to 1000. General opinions on the 3.5-15 or the 5.5-22?

If you aren't hunting or doing anything other than target shooting out to 1000, then definitly go with the higher magnification. You can always dial down if the conditions call for it, but the difference between 3.5 and 5.5 is nothing compared to 15 and 22.

Shooting at any thing at 1000 you will be glad for the 22x. The 5.5x22 NXS should have enough FOV to let you hunt and still have the 22x for longrange. I shoot 1000 BR and like at least 22x to 25x minimum. Matt

I would just buy the 12x42x56 benchrest if your gonna shoot targets. If your spend the money once might as well get the best magnification possible.Take a look at them once , I can see my bullet holes at 500yards on a good day with the 6br.

if ya can't see it ya can't hit it . all joking aside . I think 15 on the high side is a little low for shooting at 1000 , but this depends on the target size .
I just bought a 8 - 32 NXS for a rifle being used for mostly target , but also hunting . just read the specs , as the power increases you loose elevation adjustment . on the NXS scopes the 5.5-22 has 100 moa elevation , and I think that's why it's so popular with the long range guys . the 8-32 has 65 moa elevation . I have a 20 moa rail on this rifle so it will still get me out there a long ways . I just got out a night force brochure that came with my 8-32 . here are the elevation specs . this will be total elevation travel . so half of the travel is up , the other half is down.

3.5-15 NXS has 110 elevation
5.5-22 NXS has 100
8-32 NXS has 65

5-25 ATCAR has 120
5-25 BEAST has 120

8-32 BR has 50
12-42 BR has 40
15-55 comp has 60

I gotta say the 8-32 NSX. All the power you need. Low enough on the bottom end for anything. All of the MOA adjustment you will need.

I used one on my hunting gun (300 WBY) to shoot the mile shoot at the 2008 IBS 1000 yard nationals At Thunder Valley in Oh. I had it figured out to use both the dilal up AND holdover together to get there, but didn't need to hold over...just dial and shoot. Granted, I had a 20 MOA rail but probably would have been close without it.

Now, I say this because you didn't list hunting. Throw hunting in the mix and then you are talking the 5.5-22.

My personal favorite all around scope between these two would be the 5.5-22x 50mm. For nothing but casual target shooting, as mentioned you can go with more mag power but in most air conditions and mirage situations, 22x is going to be around max for all but a select few shooting situations.

Just an good all around scope for everything on a medium to heavy rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.