Max grain of bullets per caliber

swebb38

I was wondering if someone could clarify why the reloading manuals show up to a certain size grain bullet, when there are larger ones available. I was thinking it was because of pressure being to high. Is that the case? Point in case is 300 H&H, Hornady and most others show a max of 220 grn 30 cal bullet. Does that mean that I cannot safely load anything larger?

No its not unsafe to load a heavier bullet for caliber than normal , the trouble is that most of the time factory guns don't have the proper twist rate to stabilize realy heavy for caliber bullets so companies don't bother working up loads for them.

Now I'm not saying that you should take a 200gr Wildcat bullet and load it up in your 7mm mag with a load thats close to top end for a 160 class bullet , two reasons being that the longer heavier bullet has more mass and "generaly" has more bearing surface wich equals drag in the barrel.

I think that Wildcat bullets is making a 250+ gr bullet for 30 cal rifles ,it would be perfectly safe to get some and work up a load to shoot them safely but more than likely your barrel isin't gonna spin them fast enough to have them shoot well.

I think that Wildcat bullets is making a 250+ gr bullet for 30 cal rifles ,it would be perfectly safe to get some and work up a load to shoot them safely but more than likely your barrel isin't gonna spin them fast enough to have them shoot well.

Wildcat is making 30 Cal. bullets at least as large as 290 grains.I belive that they make them as large as 300 grains. I am building a rifle around the Wildcat 265 grain rebated boattail. It will have a 30" ABS barrel twisted 1 in 8"

doh

Thanks guys, I wasnt considering the twist as why they wouldnt list them. That makes alot more sense.
SW

Wildcat bullets in .30 cal only go up to 225g. They go up to 350g. in .338 cal.
If someone makes a .300g. .30 cal bullet I have to try some. Sierra once made some 250g. smk's bullet not any more, 240 is as high as it goes.

Wildcat bullets in .30 cal only go up to 225g. They go up to 350g. in .338 cal.
If someone makes a .300g. .30 cal bullet I have to try some. Sierra once made some 250g. smk's bullet not any more, 240 is as high as it goes.

Not true.....Wildcat makes a 290 grain (JonA tested the first 265 grain Wildcats made with the 290 grain jacket) 30 Cal. bullet and I believe that they make a 300 grainer.............I have 1000 of the 265 grain 30 cal. Wildcats sitting beside me as I type this

Last edited:
Most of the reloading manuals are writen by bullet manufacturers, therefore they ONLY list their own bullets. If Hornady had a 250gr 30 cal bullet they would list loads for them, but they don't, so they don't. For obvoius marketing reasons one bullet manufacturer isn't going to load/advertise bullets from someone else.

I'll have to contact Wildcat bullets. They don't list a 290 or a 300 grain in .30 cal. .338 cal has a .300 grainer though. I would love to try a .300 grain .30 cal in a .30- .338 Lapua

The Aluminum Tipped Wildcats are not on the web site either

311 grain Wildcat beside a 300 grain SMK

311Grain300GrainSMK.jpg

Aluminum tipped Wildcats

AluminumTipWildcatBullets-1.jpg

Last edited:
Got some big 250 grain round nose bullets by Hawk bullets I plan to goof around with in my .300 Winnie some time. Or maybe just to
be stupid I'll load them up in my brother in law's 308 haha. Betcha that's have some kick out of a savage 99…