Mauser m48

bamadawg2009

Just a quick ? for the smiths.. I messed up the other day and baught a Yugo M48 I wasnt thinking at the time but this is a Large ring short action. Some people say its an intermediate length action. I measured this morning and it is .25in shorter than my vz-24.... My question is will a 6.5-284 fit this action and magazine box, if not is this action strong enough to build into a 300WSM?
Thanks for any and all advice!!!

Dawg, the M-48 action will take the .270 WSM in the mag well with lots of room for long bullets. The mag well won't take a 6.5 x .284 seated to maximum O.A.L. Best I recall, the mag will accomodate up to about 3.2" O.A.L., but am not positive.

Something that may help you is that the M-48 action screw spacing is the same as the small ring Mausers, and with some work aftermarket stocks can be used. The std Mauser 98 spacing is too long. You might be able to find an aftermarket stock for the M-48. I think Brownell's used to sell them. "Woodplus" as I recall.

Good luck, Tom

Im glad you said that because I had forgot all about a small ring stock with some work to it so the ring would fit. Looks like Im building a WSM. choices choices 7mm or 300 never been a fan of the 270 not enough bullet selection. Thanks a lot for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts