mauser 98 338 win mag, want to rechamber, but to what?

jackin brass

I have a custom 338 win. Set up for elk or safari hunting. Short barrel, high rise iron sights with a 3x9 leupold . This was a gift. Its a great set up, but not what I want. I do like the larger calibers, but I want something I can take out to a grand with some authority, but still want to be able to hunt with it. I was thinking rebarreling (heavy 28 inch) and stepping up to a 338 rum . Is this possible with the mauser 98? Any thoughts on this ? Or other caliber suggestions?

Don't know about the RUM in a Mauser, but the 338WM in a long barrel using a high grade 225 will get you there an then some. Put a break on it and let it run!gun) Saw on Long Range Pursuit, they put a big bull Elk down at 925 with one shot using a 168 7mm Berger hunting VLD out of 7mm Rem Mag (No jumping on me guys, I know what I saw). Is it the best caliber, not over 1000yd for Elk, but for deer you could go a little farther IMHO.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.