Mauser 6500 Foremost

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jpbaker, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jpbaker

jpbaker Well-Known Member

My buddy just contacted me and he was given an old mauser 6500 foremost in 30-06, made in England.

His dad gave it to him because someone cracked the barrel, like 8" of barrel.

So the barrel needs to be replaced. I guess my question is, what barrel am I looking for? Will a mauser 98 barrel fit? That is mostly what im finding.

Sorry for being so vague, i still dont know alot about the rifle. He is going to give it to me soon so I will know more.....Sorry dunno if its large or small shank....

TKS
    JPB

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

The only way a barrel "cracks' is from being fired with an obstruction in it! That receiver should be carefully inspected before any thought is given to a new barrel.

3. jpbaker

Yes im planning to take it apart tonight to check everything out.....

However his dad said it was dropped. The barrel is intact with a hairline crack.

TKS
    JPB

4. jpbaker

I checked it out tonight. It is good to go with a new barrel. It looked like the front sight got knocked off in the fall and thats what split the barrel.

Now i just need to figure out what size barrel is going to fit this rig.

TKS
    JPB

5. shortgrass

Any "inspection" of a receiver requires the barrel be removed so that you can look at the important parts. If you have the skills and tools to preform a propper inspection, gauging the thread on the barrel should be no problem.

6. jpbaker

Wrong. This will be the third I have seen where the barrel was cracked from a fall. Every time it goes through the holes for the front sight. I did it myself to one of my fathers rifles when I was a kid, by knocking it over onto cement, knocked of front sight and split aprox 2-3" of barrel. Also, when someone tells me that it fell and split, and I have seen it a couple times myself....Enough said....

Ok, I dont think I need to explain myself here. I agree that I am not familiar with the mauser action that is why I came here to see what info I could get.

Its not like the savages that I work on often, and have the tools and gauges for from previous builds I have done.

TKS anyways,
    JPB

7. shortgrass

So, you have Magnaflux capability?

8. jpbaker

No, I don't have Magnaflux capabilities unless you consider their "bench kit" (works well), everything that needs that will be going to a local machine shop, they don't mind giving me a hand. Anything that has suspected issues with an older or damaged firearm like this one of instance, gets checked. However, even magnaflux only shows cracks not metal fatigue.

Sorry if I sounded touchy earlier, didn't mean to offend...

TKS
    JPB

P.S.
    The Magnaflux Kit PN: 01-5970-48 works very well, and is very affordible for the bench. Have used it, probably will again. For now I will stick the the shop.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  9. shortgrass

There's a little note in the barrel section of the Brownells catalog. It recommends checking every receiver before cutting threads or ordering a pre-threaded barrel. I've installed, from blanks, somewhere between 50 and 60 barrels so far this year. Even if someone I trust tells me what the thread is I double check it for myself with a micrometer and thread pitch gage. Saves alot of headaches in the long run!

10. jpbaker

Ok tks, sounds like a plan.

TKS
    JPB