mauser&257 weatherby

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by dud, Feb 18, 2010.

1. dud

dud Well-Known Member

would you use a columbian fn 98 action to build a 257 weatherby?or would it not take the pressure.

2. specweldtom

specweldtom Well-Known Member

The FN made Mausers are high quality mostly postwar actions. I believe the Columbian contract rifles were made in the late 40's or early 50's. They are the right length, good metallurgy, and have the 3rd safety lug. The feed rails, follower, bolt face and extractor would have to be reworked for the Wby cartridge, but should be able to handle it if the barrel is installed and headspaced properly.

Tom

3. dud

dud Well-Known Member

thank you.iwas going with a 25-06 ai but cant see the real advantage .

4. specweldtom

specweldtom Well-Known Member

Dud, the 25-06 Rem would be my choice over the Wby. It's a natural for the Mauser. Fine accuracy, velocity within 100 fps (3600 fps) with 85gr bullets, and 200 fps with 115gr bullets (3200 fps)--- out of a 24" barrel----, slightly longer barrel life, loaded ammo at half the price or less, plentiful brass, and no modifications to the action or bolt. The A.I. will close the gap some, but in my opinion isn't worth the extra trouble. Fire forming uses up a firing on factory ammo or new brass.

I like anything based on a 30-06 case, with .280 Rem being my favorite, so I'm not objective about it. I also like Weatherbys, but only the Big Boomers.

This is a good problem to have. Let us know what you decide.

Good hunting, Tom

5. coyotezapper

coyotezapper Well-Known Member

How about a 25-06 Ackley? Lapua 30-06 brass and you would be on the doorstep of weatherby velocity.