MATCHKING FAILURE!

The ballistics gurus at Sierra told me the SMK is not recommended for hunting simply because they have not tested the bullet in ballistic media. The SMK features both a softer core and a thinner jacket than their hunting bullets and it is not designed for controlled expansion. Does that mean it won't work for swatting down a truck load of mule deer? Obviously not.

I wonder how something like a 190 SMK in .30 caliber at 3300 feet from 50 yards would work on Brown bear with a bust 'em down point of the shoulder shot? Anyone know?

Ankeny,
Here is my answer, Second day I had switched to my .300 WSM to try to get a kill with the new XP3 ammo from Winchester (oops, now I have let that out). The only deer I shot at was also the last deer shot at - had a slight mental error. I decided to use the NP-R2 reticle instead of cranking the 2.5-10 NXS on the little NonTypical. This is roughly how it went...

Spotter - "450 yards, that is seven minutes according to your chart, Ian"
(I had taken the numbers off my PDA and written them on the back of a cartridge box, pretty high tech drop chart...).
Me - Seven minutes, OK, Mentally I went - one two three four five six seven - that is the bar I need to hold on. The NP-R2 never lets me down! Just stand there a minute longer and try one of these XP3's. Not much wind, will hold center. Here goes...."
Spotter - "The deer never even moved - I never saw any dirt fly anywhere. Try again."
Me - "Damit, what is going on - that was seven minutes - hold better, that must be it... Five six seven - seventh bar - nice and easy, follow through, break it clean..."
Spotter: "Same deal, no reaction at all. They are starting to go now - they are gone!"

I was not tickled at that shooting display after all the good stuff we had done. Then it hit me - each bar is TWO frigging minutes. I was holding 14 minutes of elevation for a 450 yard shot. Nice work. My partners took it in stride - we had a good hunt and more deer were not necessary. Very few misses - we use a spotter for each shooting situation, have a good idea of where shots went. One guy tried a monopod for some closer shots, missed two deer by significant margins, too wobbly, need to stay on ground with Harris bipods. None wounded. I also missed the first deer of the hunt - laser must have been reading way back of the critter - had the windage but way over the big doe with the 6.5-284. Made up for it with two spine shots at 450 a few minutes later.
I had two misses, the first and last deer I shot at, saw one partner miss two easy ones off the monopod, landowner with us did not have any misses that I saw, other partner did not mention any misses. Nobody keeps score but I think 8-9 of the 14 were killed over 450 yards, several around 600, two at 700 as mentioned.
We wanted to get two does each which took eight kills to get replacement doe tags plus the free buck tag. Can do this twice, then you have to stay with does. Deer are already very spooky. No "shoulder checking" like mulies usually do.
Next is a buck hunt on draw tags, very good location, will use the .325 WSM for that one.

As always great stories about your hunt. There is nothing like real world results to dispel keyboard truths and naysayers.

One of these falls, I might just have to come out and do some late season 'varmint' hunting with you. Pity that CWD is still around. It has been too many years.

7 mins to 450? Time to start shooting something that flies flatter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck with your upcoming hunt...
Jerry

Jerry,
The 6.5-284 is much flatter, that is the drop for the .300 WSM factory load. That would be a blast - literally!

Ian M:

I have lurked here for a while, and now have worked up the nerve to ask a question.

Fist off, thanks ever so much for your post. While I have not worked not worked with the Matchking or A-Max a lot, I am very tempted to try the 168 grain MK and/or the 160 gain Horndy A-Max for my 7mm Rem Mag for hunting deer here in Alberta up to about 600 meters and further once my skill catches up to my equipment.

I was wondering if you or any of your party had experience with the above mentioned bullets.

Thank in Advance and look forward to your response.

Richard

I have used the 250 in the 338 SMK to take more feral hogs than I can count. Never one failure with that bullet! All were between 200 and 800 yards. We shot one this morning but it was with a 284 at 70 yds--dropped it like a stone!

TOTAL FAILURE!

You need to change bullets.....QUICK!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Richard,
I have been in south Texas for a week, just got back to a computer. We have not shot any 7mm's , none of the guys I shoot with use that caliber. Having said that I would have no problem using them on game - whichever shoots best in your rifle is the one to go with.

Welcome to Long Range Hunting - you came to the right place to get info.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.