Match Tuned M1A out to 500 yds. ?

Ramses II

Would it be an obscene mistake to use my Match Tuned M1A as a 500 yd. gun? It has all the bells and whistles (Thank You Smith Ent.) and a Heavy Match 1:10 Douglas Bbl.

With Open Match sights I can shoot 1MOA at 100yds.

If I get a great scope mount and rings (Smith Ent.) Would it be accurate to use at 500 yds. Or would all the bolt gun dudes look at me like I'm nuts?

Ramses II

Nuts? I hardly think so. In my opinion, if you can shoot the thing well, enjoy it, and get the results that YOU desire.......you'd be nuts NOT to shoot it! If you can shoot moa accuracy, I wouldn't want you shooting at me at 500 yards! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I don't shoot competetively, but I know the M1a's are used in several shooting sports. I think you'll also find some of our armed forces shooters using them from time to time-and I'm not about to argue with them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Use it and have fun.

I shoot the Norinco version and would not hesitate to shoot it out to 1000yds. They can be made to be surprisingly accurate for a battle rifle.

As to hunting use, just test the loads for accuracy. I like the milk jug test. My max distance is where I can no longer hit a milk jug 100% of the time. That max distance changes with conditions too.

My best loads use 155gr Amax, Benchmark powder, Fed 210M, and neck sized Win brass. I am MOA or better out to 200m. Too much snow to go further right now.

I have however, shot to 380yds and did hit the occasional clay pigeon last fall.

Slap on some optics and have some fun.

Jerry

I am happy someone eles enjoys a fine rifle. I shoot a N.match, M1A. With iron sites if I can see it, I can hit to 800 yrds. I was trained for Vietnam. Have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.