Match grade brass

moosehunter

So far Ive sorted my once fired Win. brass by weight,(within 2gr.). Trimmed to length, neck turned to .012", uniformed and deburred primer pockets, neck size only and annealed. The powder is carefully scaled and the Sierra MK 220gr. bullets are soft seated. My extreme spread is just under 30fps which I dont think is acceptable. The primers are Fed. bench rest. Al I can think of now is go to match quality brass. Who is a good supplier of this for the 300 win mag?

How did it shoot?

You can get match brass like Fed Gold Medal (wholesale or russels sports), Lapua and Norma (may have to get from USA).

Any of the above should work well for you. Chances are, brass will not change your vel variation much. Consider powder and/or primer changes to reduce vel. spreads. I have found that 50fps is still acceptable from a magnum. Accuracy can be around 1/3 MOA.

Reading conditions will have a much larger affect then your vel. spread.

Good luck...

Jerry

Jerry

Moosehunter

not sure why you are saying/implying the "brass" is causing the ES of 30.

Is that the lowest you have been able to get it with a variety of loads/powders? If that is correct, then yes it might be the brass, but I doubt. Normally it is the load.

Are you using a bushing die for sizing the neck?

look at the ladder load development method on 12-24-02 in bullets, ballistics and try that. It will show sweet spots for your barrel with a given powder, bullet etc in 20 rds. then fine tune the load to that sweet spot.

Now if you cannot get the ES to 15 or less then switch powders. My first choice to try in 300 win would be H4831 and fed brass and 210, not 215 primers, 210 JLK or Berger for match loads and either the 200 or 220 SMK for non match. I know guys that have that combo and ES of under 7 and routine sub 5" groups at 1K

BH

[ 05-05-2003: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.