match bullets for hunting

R2002K

Please inform me about using or not using match bullets for shooting game. I usually shoot moly coated sierra 168gr match king in 308 - thanks

I have killed I lot of deer with that same bullet in 7mm mag and 300 mag and they kill just fine but they some times make a mess out of the deer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If it for deer size game and that's what shoots in your gun I say go ahead and use them. I would not use them on heavy game like elk but I'm sure there are guys on this site that have. There are so many good high BC bonded hunting bullets on the market today that are a better choice for hunting but either one will get the job done. Good luck and welcome to the board /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the info, I shoot my 308 at my range and have experimented with several bullet weights and 168 seems to be the most accurate for this gun. Maybe I will buy a good hunting bullet similar to that weight.- Paul Denny

If you are looking for a 168 grain hunting bullet, you might try the Barnes 168 Triple Shock. I just tried some out in my 308 and they put 3 into a half inch group at 100 yards using Varget.

Gene Cole III

Match bullets are all I use- shot placement is the key to clean kills. I have taken evrything in the US with a 308 and 175 MK- prairie dogs, badgers, coyotes, deer, antelope, bear, hogs, exotics, and even the mighty bison.
This site was started by guys who made longrange kills with match bullets!!!! That was what this site was and still is about.....
So if the 168 shoots the best (I would try the 175s) by all means USE them.....and enjoy the barbeque!!!!! And 223 with 77gr, 338 Lapua, 6.5 WSM, 6.5-284 both with 142s, 7mm with 168s- now 175s, and 243 with 107s.......

Thanks so much! I started out with 190's, then 175's then the 168's - I was very suprised with the difference in the shot groups. My 308 barrel is 1 in 10 twist and 18 inches. but the 168gr shoot the best. - velocity increased as group size decreased. is that the key?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.