Marlim or Winchester?

As I said I am not upset, I just believed that you were a member and not an outsider.

I am from Alabama and a "hill billy" and I watch Nascar and I have grease under my fingernails pretty often. None of that means I am stupid, it just means I talk at a reasonable rate so people can actaully understand the words and that I know how to correctly pronounce words.

You get two more demerits for denying being a redneck as if it is something to be ashamed of.

Anyway, it was interesting and I am not the official welcoming committee but for what its worth, you are welcome

There is one major difference between the Winchester and the Marlin lever action rifles. To clean a Marlin, one simply removes the trigger assembly etc., and cleans from the back as per a normal bolt gun. You can't do that with a Winchester, and cleaning from the muzzle end is a pain in the butt - even when done carefully.

Good point...and you know already read a article about 30-30s and i think I fall in love for one lever action.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I don't know but I think they are beautifuls master pieces...
they are like olds pictures...maybe I'm old man now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As I said I am not upset, I just believed that you were a member and not an outsider.

I am from Alabama and a "hill billy" and I watch Nascar and I have grease under my fingernails pretty often. None of that means I am stupid, it just means I talk at a reasonable rate so people can actaully understand the words and that I know how to correctly pronounce words.

You get two more demerits for denying being a redneck as if it is something to be ashamed of.

Anyway, it was interesting and I am not the official welcoming committee but for what its worth, you are welcome

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about the Red Neck reference, I'm not even for sure if there is a way to define red neck. I know a lot of people are proud to be one, I've seen pickup trucks with the words red neck in big letters across the top of the windsheild. I always told my brothers that I was a failure in life. I was 40 years old and never owned a pickup, dog box or coon hound. They both had all three since high school. All of my family and my wifes family are still on the farms. My wife and I are the only ones that left the country. My one brother is a Nascar nut, Every thing were wears has Dale Jr. or something like it. My other brother has no use for TV \ sports. The only clothing he will buy is something that says Carhardt. I suppose they might be called hill billys if there were much for hills in Iowa. Red Neck?? I'm not sure. A better question is what is a red neck?

[ QUOTE ]
OK.... if you are for real...

where are you from? How old are ya?

you realize you have about $1200 just in what you mentioned...

the cost for a case of 308 match ammo is about $400

[/ QUOTE ]

I have several rifles that sort of qualify as potential long range rifles. If I were to start over that would be the set up, Rem 700, badger mounts and rings and a really good scope. 308 cal. The stuff I have now for the most part I bought before I found this web site except for the Nikon tactical 2.5-10X44. I seen it at a Cabelas outlet store for $599 (new), Retail was 899. Really liked it. Researched it here and some places that were linked from here. I called Cabelas and told them to hold it for me. My "long range rifle" is a Sako 75 in 300RUM, that was a new clearance rifle at a local Gander Mountain $750 Nice rifle, but not the perfered long range rifle due to limitations in mounting a scope. I buy a lot of stuff just because it's a good deal. I end up with lots of stuff I really don't need that way and additional credit card debt. I posted several messages regarding mounts and now own 3 types of mounts for this rifle, and don't own the mount I think I really would like have for this rifle. I have owned several Winchester 94's and one Marlin 336. I presently have a Marlin 1895 45-70 guide gun and a 1894 44Mag. I like the Marlins better, and are really a better rifle for the type of big game hunting I've done so far. Last animal I took was a Black bear over bait with a 7mm Rem Mag, Browning BAR. 20 yards. Bow hunting distance. The Bar can shoot 1 MOA a 200 yards, the 45-70 took a bear too last season, it was used by a family freind. Maybe someday I can take the 300RUM out and do some longrange hunting. Right now the 300RUM will be a plinker \ target rifle. The Nikon will go on it shortly.

Anywun no a goode place to go marlim fishin?

My buddy jug likes fishin for marlims, but he's havin sum hard times 'n all.

Idaho has "red neck marlin". You ever see a 4' sturgeon come out of the water? Mighty cool stuff. I hear even the 10 footers will come out of the water just the same when you first set the hook.

4ked Horn,
Will those sturgeon scream an International 130 like a marlin will? If you have never caught a marlin, it is definitely an experience that can be compared with none other.

I'm new to the whole sturgeon thing (caught one fish and went out and got myself the gear) but the stories I've heard lead me to believe that they can test the limits of a Penn 330. We cast from shore so we are using 12 foot rods, 50+ lb test monofilimant and a minimum of 8oz weights. The hooks are 6/0 or better barbless and I have talked to guys who are using 100 lb test and straightening out 8/0 hooks on the big ones. These guys are fighting 9-12 footers for hours before getting them to shore. Catch and release here. We can't even remove them from the water.

I've never caught a thing from any ocean but I would love to try it sometime in my life.

Gar. Consider this thread hijacked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB1000Br

In your neck of the woods I suspect you and Jug will be able to find lots of Marlims late this weekend at Williamsport eatin free ice cream and countin their money.

That was just too good to resist!

I think there is no hope for Gar, his family are Earnhart/Chevy fans and he can't even spell Carhartt, poor guy is just hopeless.

If anybody has a 44 manglum on em, they should shoot this thread and put it out of its misery.

When I was groing up along the snake river I heard stories of sturgeon pulling in mule teams. Didn't believe em but did see a 12 footer that was in a tank down around hagerman.

Are those sturgeon found in the rivers only. It amazes me how they can get so big just in the rivers. I understand how marlin get so big. They have an unlimited diet of tuna, dolphin, wahoo, king makeral, all very large fish. But those sturgeon must live a long time in order to get that big in fresh water. Also, I am not familar with the tackle that you are talking about 4ked Horn, but what we use for billfish are 80 Internationals that hold nearly 1000 yards of 80lb test line. That is still a battle with such stiff gear. The boat is a great help, I would love to hook into one of those sturgeon. What do you guys use for bait. Chickens, dogs/cats, small cows? I am curious. I have personally seen a large marlin eat a 50-70lb yellowfin tuna.

[ QUOTE ]
sturgeon pulling in mule teams

[/ QUOTE ]

I searched and searched and couldn't find the picture I was looking for. It is an old old sepia exposure of a sturgeon being hauled ashore by a 4 ((I think) mule team. The sturgeon is 20 feet if it's an inch and has to be 3 feet in diameter at the gills.

I do believe that sturgeon can live to be 100 years old or more.
They don't have to spend much energy feeding, they sit in deep holes in the river and let the current bring them food.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.