Mark V Picatinny Base

Bulseyetom

Who makes a picatinny type base for a Mark V Weatherby magnum action? I have a 36x Scope with Weaver type rings that I move back and forth from several rifles for range work then switch to my hunting scopes after I am happy with a load. I have rails on all of my other rifles and thought what the heck, I might as well put one on the 270 Weatherby Magnum. So far looking on-line at catalogs I cannot find anything other than the 2 piece Weaver style and I would think that the ring spacing would be off so I couldn't switch without loosening up at least one of the rings each time. What is the best way for me to go? Thanks. Tom gun)

A long action remington rail fits them, just make sure the rail doesn't have a recoil shoulder on it.

A recoil lug is a great thing with a wby magnums recoil. It is a protrusion off the bottom of the base that registers against the action port to stop any movement of the base durring recoil. The 700 Rem has a different port size so the recoil lug is located in a different location. Near will make you a base with or with out a recoil lug.

Jeff

I have Badger Ord. bases on 2 Wby rifles. Both put on about 10 years ago. Unless Badger has changed something the Rem long action should work just fine.

I have Badger Ord. bases on 2 Wby rifles. Both put on about 10 years ago. Unless Badger has changed something the Rem long action should work just fine.

that's what I keep hearing ,but I'm not sure all of them use this bolt pattern . I'm looking right now for a picatinny base for my MK V also , so I'm glad this thread came up . the base I took off was a redfield one piece with the windage screws . it mounts by using the front three screw holes in the action . the base has REM 700 LA stamped in it , and it is not altered . now if you go to, Ken Farrell, Inc. -- Search results . Ken has the screw spacing listed on his bases . all 4 of my screw spacing does match the rem 700 LA . but the MK V spacing is different according to Kens specs . I've been going to call Ken and ask about this and buy a base , but I haven't had time during business hours . I'd like to know if the 700 base will match the contour of the MK V action without needing a quarter inch of bedding , or does he make one to fit a MK V with the 700 bolt pattern . Jim

I'd like to know if the 700 base will match the contour of the MK V action without needing a quarter inch of bedding , or does he make one to fit a MK V with the 700 bolt pattern . Jim

Both the MK Vs I have Badger rails on did not need bedding, and the screw holes matched up perfectly. As I mentioned previously, I put the rails on several years ago and have not removed them since. If I were re-installing, I might bed them "just because" but both rifles have performed well for years with the bases installed as is. I don't think WBY, Rem, or Badger would have changed the screw hole spacing over the years, but you never know....... If you get in touch with Ken Farrell, let us know what he has to say.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts