Mark 4 Leupolds??

apapro

Hey guys:

I am fairly new to the site and to long range hunting/shooting!

I am at the point of deciding on a scope for my new long range rig!!! I have built a 8.6x72 Swamp Donkey Mag. on a Rem 700 and a Mcmillan A-5. I have a 20 moa base and Burris Zee rings, but I am stuck on the scope!!! The cartridge is capable of pushing a 250 gr bullet at 3100 fps, and a 300 gr bullet at 2800 - 2900fps!

I can't decide on a 4.5 x 14 x 50 or a 6.5 x 20 x 50 Mark 4's or a 6.5 x 20 x 50 comp.!!

I will be shooting this rifle out to 1 mile (hopefully) and also want this rifle for my main Moose - Elk gun.

Will the 4.5 x 14 x 50 be enough to 1000 yards and beyond or should I go with two scopes 1 for longe range (6.5 x 20 x 50) and the other for hunting ( 3.5 x 10 x 40 or a 2.5 x 8 x32)?

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Later

The Mark 4 is an excellent choice in any magnification. Personally, I would either get the 4.5-14x50mm or the 8.5-25x50mm. I see no need to get the 6.5-20. The eye relief is more on the 8.5-25 and in my experience the exit pupil is also bigger.

With that said, there is also nothing wrong w/the VXIII 8.5-25x50mm. For the $$$ difference, I think this may be a better choice. If you just have to spend more money, look @ the NightForce.

PS-When you decide, shoot me an email @ the address in my profile and I can give you a price on the Leupies and the NF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

The only down side to the 8-25 is you have no real low end on the scope, this means that a elk or moose at 50yds or so and you see nothing but brown. I think for a hunting rig the 4-14 leup or 3-15 NF is the best in town.

The NF is better but you also spend more so it is toss up. For real long range stuff the 8-25 is better but you do sacrifce the low end.

4-14 is enough for 1k shooting.

steve

The 5.5X22 Nightforce is a good comprimise for a high magnification scope with a 4 times zoom range.............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I got the 4.5-14 and I have shot it out to 1150 yards. It even has the standard duplex reticle, which I dont really like. On a 15" plate at 1150 yards, its pretty tight fit, but its still easily doable. With a fine duplex, I think it would be A LOT better. 14x is plenty for 1k shooting, most snipers use or used 10x scopes for 1k shooting. I think fiftydriver used a 14x scope to shoot his chuck past 2k as well.

I would go with the VX-III over the Mark 4. I have a friend that works there in the design dept and he told me that all you get for the extra $300 is a mil dot reticle, a different design of target knobs and the gold ring is black. I personally have never spent the time to learn a mil dot scope so I have no use for one. I would take the money you save on the VX-III and put it towards a custom reticle or a custom yardage knob.

I put a VX-III 6.5-20x50 LR target on a 338-378 and it is working great. It's nice right up past legal shooting hours. It's magnification range is wide enough for most hunting situations and good fine paper work to 500 yards. Much farther if your eyes are good. Mine aren't so beyond that I'm very partial to the Black Diamond 8-32x50.

Thanks for the info guys!!!

I have decided to go with the 4.5 x 14 x 50 Mark 4. This way I have a good scope for the upcoming elk,moose,deer season!!! I will try it at the long range stuff after hunting season.

If it is not enough power for the super long range shooting I will look at purchasing a higher power scope then!!

[ QUOTE ]
I would go with the VX-III over the Mark 4. I have a friend that works there in the design dept and he told me that all you get for the extra $300 is a mil dot reticle, a different design of target knobs and the gold ring is black. I personally have never spent the time to learn a mil dot scope so I have no use for one. I would take the money you save on the VX-III and put it towards a custom reticle or a custom yardage knob.

I put a VX-III 6.5-20x50 LR target on a 338-378 and it is working great. It's nice right up past legal shooting hours. It's magnification range is wide enough for most hunting situations and good fine paper work to 500 yards. Much farther if your eyes are good. Mine aren't so beyond that I'm very partial to the Black Diamond 8-32x50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you get the REAL MK4's fixed 10 or 16x...my 16x has 150MOA of total elevation...the new "variable Mark 4's" won't touch that...

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.