Marine Tex Release Agent

FatBoy...

Release agent question.

I use Acra-glass blue release agent for steelbed which leaves a "skin" on the receiver and I think may allow a bit of space, however small. So,, I'm gong to cover it in Marine Tex but I'm unsure of what to use as a release agent. I have Acra-glass blue, standard Acra-release and a jar of Johnsons paste wax. Which do you think will work best with Marine Tex?

FatBoy...

There was a jar of Johnson's Paste Wax on GA's bench when I was there, plus I know another top pro who swears by it.

Eric, George and Chris do what I tell them to and I told them to use Johnson's and get right at it
grin.gif
(if they listened to me they would be out of business by now, but what the hell, time to lighten this place up a bit...).

Light coat and a good buff. You will be impressed.

I have used Johnsons Paste Wax and it worked fine for me.

The last two I did I used Imperial Sizing wax with good results. I use it to size cases and so have it on the bench anyway. It is pretty slippery and nothing sticks to it.

[ 03-15-2004: Message edited by: dwm ]

Down to my last 1/4 lb of Johnson's...Lasted 12 years, and never failed. Darn it...might have to buy another $4.00 worth to last another 12 to 115 years (I'm getting old and slow).

Thank you much for the info. I didn't have the guts to use the wax, so I just went with another coat of acraglass blue. It shouldn't really matter, as the rifles lug, ring and tang were bedded with steelbed, and the marine tex was just to dress it and fill any little holes.

Man I hope this thing comes out right. I always sweat this stuff.

FatBoy...

You guys are using the grey stuff, eh??

I picked up this grey stuff (2 oz), but **** it's small! I've got three to do, but all they had in the larger size containers were the white stuff...

I could "maybe" do all three if I was judicious, but I'd have to do them all at the same time so I didn't waste any, and that's two too many at one time!
grin.gif

I'd like to lay a coat down the barrel channel on the wood stock to seal it after the freefloating I've already done, but I got some other stuff if it comes to that, just nicer done all at once...

McMillan uses Johnsons Paste, I can't think of a better endorsement.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.