March or nightforce

One more aspect of the March is the glare cutting ability of the glass. When looking into the sun, something in the coatings on the glass eliminates it allowing a shot where my NXS couldn't. Other have mentioned it but it has happened to me two times where I was able to take a shot that the NF glass couldn't.

I noticed this last fall. My buddy only had a vortex, but he couldn't see anything with the glare and I had no problem picking out the deer.

idcwby

One more aspect of the March is the glare cutting ability of the glass. When looking into the sun, something in the coatings on the glass eliminates it allowing a shot where my NXS couldn't. Other have mentioned it but it has happened to me two times where I was able to take a shot that the NF glass couldn't.
I have observed this as well. I did a "non-scientific" test a few years ago. With a western exposure and a 200 yard wood/brush line out of my basement door, I compared a few of my scopes sighting on a deer-sized rock into a low sun. My March 2.5x25x52 and S&B PMII acquired the rock clearly while an orange haze obstructed it with my NXS, Vortex AMG, and Huskemaw. My ATAC-R was slightly better, just making out the rock. I understand that reducing glare in a scope has to do with a combination of the glass, geometry and interior coating designs used. Being predominately a whitetail hunter, with quite a lot of action early/late in the day, there have been several times over the years when I have had to pass, wait, or reposition during a low sun or high glare(ie ice on trees/brush) condition was present

I have been seeing a lot of things about Vortex & Nikon lately. I have tossed away any notions I had about buying any Vortex, Nikon, and some others. I have yet to see what Grey Fox has experienced with my NXS scopes or my Leupolds. I think it's time to take the scopes out and see if there is any that need replacing.

After further readings I've confirmed 3 things:
1st is that these indeed aren't available in my area so I'd have to find a coupon code to help eat some of the extra taxes and duty. That's even if it/they will ship to Canada.
2nd they seem to be well made and have good reviews. Although I do find it interesting that the March scope was barely mentioned on this forum under toughest hunting scope...so no sense in having a lightweight unreliable scope. I can't offer a true opinion as I've never had one in my hands let alone on my rifles. just an observation.
3rd an most importantly. There doesn't seem to be any in stock on their website. In fact SFP OR FFP scopes. All sold out. Do other dealers sell them? So. They seem to be popular but that also makes them harder to get and likely harder to replace if needed. Well. That's how I see it.
I do understand the whole wt savings thing. I truly do. 31 years humping a rucksack all over this damm planet. EVERY OUNCE counts.

I have been seeing a lot of things about Vortex & Nikon lately. I have tossed away any notions I had about buying any Vortex, Nikon, and some others. I have yet to see what Grey Fox has experienced with my NXS scopes or my, Leupolds......

I think the NXS is a solid LRH scope considering it's price/performance position. I haven't used any of the current Leupold models. Several years ago I owned a few MK4's when I first started LRH, and found them to be reliable, with glass and turrets comparable to the NSX. I used both models quite a bit with excellent success, but over time upgraded in glass.....aging eyes!

Thankx for the links. Although the google search (which I did BTW) really only leads to one place....marchoptics.com. Or to Europe. Optics planet doesn't ship to Canada. I've tried several brands. Perhaps I'll consider long range supply if there is a significant discount as I stated. Duty and taxes and brokerage fees are a killer. Especially with a weaker Canadian dollar.

Thankx for the links. Although the google search (which I did BTW) really only leads to one place....marchoptics.com. Or to Europe. Optics planet doesn't ship to Canada. I've tried several brands. Perhaps I'll consider long range supply if there is a significant discount as I stated. Duty and taxes and brokerage fees are a killer. Especially with a weaker Canadian dollar.
As a follow up I decided to look at ordering from long range supply.com (as per your link). For the first 5-40x56 FFP THAT I WANTED. Rush delivery is $350 and you get it in 7 weeks. Which brings me back to my 3rd point. I'm not putting a hate on to this product. I just feel there are other brands of what I would say are equal quality and price that I wouldn't have to pay $350 for a 7 week rush order.

Put my vote down for Night Force.. they are super easy to deal with and their products I believe are the best. if I could afford it I would have 5 NF's on the way for certain rifles I have.

The Nightforce scopes are built like tanks; Sherman tanks. The March are built like Abrams. My March-X 5-50X56 if far more solid than my Nightforce NXS 12-42X56; there really is no comparison. And on top of that, my March weighs a full half-pound less than my NXS.

It's all about the built quality and the materials used.

I am a huge March fan, have 3 I hunt with(bang/boom/ouch, hot/wet/frozen) and never had a problem but it's hard to dispute someone else's experience like the LRO thread.
Ironically I just had my go to rifle of rifles 6.5x.284 that is solid .5MOA to 1,200 yards , a 12lb gun with an NXS 3.5-15x56 be off 1R and 2MOA H at 200 yard zero. Never ever had to rezero this gun and am not aware of anything that would have caused the shift. Kind of rattles my world....
https://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/threads/what-scopes-are-best-at-holding-zero.6403/

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.