Manual case trimmer, what to get?

i like a power trimmer. I currently find myself using the RCBS power trimmer, with the 3-way cutter heads most.

I really like Redding's for a truly square cut. And Lyman's Universal because of the collet that fits everything and accepts other accessory tools Lyman makes for it. And Wilson makes a great trimmer too.

Lee's very simple case trim tools do a great job. They are easy to use and very consistant but not adjustable - not sure that really matters tho.

I won a Wilson case trimmer at nationals with the new micronitor end and I really like it. I can dial in on a case with no guessing. It replaced my old Willson trimmer. I cant comment on other brands, Wilson is all I have owned.

I went through a Redding, RCBS, Forester, and trim dyes over the past 30 years. Never liked any of them. I have been using the Wilson micrometer trimmer for a few years now. It's the by far the best trimmer I have ever used. It's available at Sinclair.

I used a Forester for many years. It also had a neck turning fixture. I now use a Lyman with the universal shell holder. It works very well and replacement cutters are inexpensive.

I use the forster original, bought it as a kit with several of the collets etc. It works a lot better than my old RCBS.

AJ

The Giraud, for sure, but the OP asked about a manual case trimmer. For that, the Wilson has to get the nod. I've used the RCBS, Redding and Forsters over the years, and the Wilson is definately the way to go . . . at least 'til you get a Giraud. :)

The Giraud, for sure, but the OP asked about a manual case trimmer. For that, the Wilson has to get the nod. I've used the RCBS, Redding and Forsters over the years, and the Wilson is definately the way to go . . . at least 'til you get a Giraud. :)

I know but thought it was worth mentioning anyway..... I used to manually trim but once I got the Giraud I have never looked back.....

Only way to fly. All my 223 and 308 match ammo goes this route, while the oddballs and less used rounds get the Wilson treatment. Hard for me to justify a Giraud set up for 303, 7.62x53R, etc..

A long time ago, I began reloading with a CH trimmer, which is a dead ringer for the Wilson. They have not been made in more than 30 years. I later bought a new Sinclair power cutter for it, and that was a perfect fit. Then, I bought a Forster. Don't like it, and never use it. Now, I have a new Wilson with the micrometer adjustment. This is a very accurate cutter. Just write down the settings and you can go right back to same spot when later trimming is needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts