manners tikka stock recoil lug removal

Tac-O

I just bought a manners stock for my tikka t3x. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully removed the recoil lug from the stock in order to bed the stock? Apparently the recoil lug is epoxied into the stock.

I contacted Manners with a few questions and they said to ship it to them and they'll remove the lug for me, since it is epoxied in. But, I'm wanting to avoid paying for shipping, so I was hoping someone here has done this themselves and has a good method of removing it.

I have not. I plan to bed it regardless in order to get the most out of its potential and prevent long term damage to the bedding area from torque.

Just food for thought is all:

Quote from Chad @ LRI

"I know for a fact that its possible to machine an inlet that'll run equal to what a bedding job is capable of. I started exploring this 8 years ago. If a cnc machine can make the kinds of parts your willing to trust your family with when you take off for the big summer vacation, then a little stock work is NOT going to be outside of its wheelhouse. Not by a long shot.

The real problem here is that the shooting community has more less become institutionalized. I mean that respectuflly. If everyone is doing the same thing and continues to do the same thing, then it eventually becomes the status quo. That kind of behavior has gone on for a long, long time when it comes to rifle stock fit and finish. Bedding was a way of solving a problem. Inletting the stock with more detail is just another way to do it.

3D surface machining is a real thing and the machines are more than capable of doing a sterling job at it. If the programmer knows how to use surfacing tool strategies, there's not a single thing wrong with it. In fact, there's a whole lot of advantages.

As for pillars: Pillar use started 3 or 4 decades ago. Wood stocks have a habit of getting smooshed over time. The pillar prevents this. Their use in composites is a bleed over from those days. If it works in wood, can't hurt in fiberglass. -right?? :)

If its really needed in a composite stock, you should of bought a different one. A typical 1/4-28 thread pitch fastener will develop around 1200lbs of tensile load on a threaded joint at the typical 50 lbs inch torque setting. Sounds like a lot, but its really not. A guy named Jerome Sailing, an engineer from an Aerospace fastener evaluation lab in Seattle did this work for me over 15 years ago. My point here is when you spread this load over the surface area of a stock and the bottom side of the floor metal, modern composite fillers tolerate it very, very well. By that measure, pillars are not really needed.

edit: You may question/doubt this. Until you start machining on stocks routinely, you'll struggle to appreciate the strength they have. A hard fill laced with chopped glass is some tough stuff. That kind of material is very, very commonly used strategically in the better composite stocks.

It hurts absolutely nothing though to have pillars installed however. The guys who claim they heat up and throw zeros are forgetting to appreciate that the core material of the stock is a great heat sink. If you get a pillar hot enough to change a zero, your barrel is already resembling a cooling rod from Chernobyl... The one exclusion here is that AL pillars have a nasty habit of failing to adhere properly. This has more to do with the installer failing to prep the material correctly than anything else. A shiny, fresh from the lathe, pillar is not going to stick well to epoxy. You gotta scuff the exterior and put a tooth on it. The other concern is the AL oxide layer that forms. Gotta scuff that off too. "

Just food for thought is all:

Quote from Chad @ LRI

"I know for a fact that its possible to machine an inlet that'll run equal to what a bedding job is capable of. I started exploring this 8 years ago. If a cnc machine can make the kinds of parts your willing to trust your family with when you take off for the big summer vacation, then a little stock work is NOT going to be outside of its wheelhouse. Not by a long shot.

The real problem here is that the shooting community has more less become institutionalized. I mean that respectuflly. If everyone is doing the same thing and continues to do the same thing, then it eventually becomes the status quo. That kind of behavior has gone on for a long, long time when it comes to rifle stock fit and finish. Bedding was a way of solving a problem. Inletting the stock with more detail is just another way to do it.

3D surface machining is a real thing and the machines are more than capable of doing a sterling job at it. If the programmer knows how to use surfacing tool strategies, there's not a single thing wrong with it. In fact, there's a whole lot of advantages.

As for pillars: Pillar use started 3 or 4 decades ago. Wood stocks have a habit of getting smooshed over time. The pillar prevents this. Their use in composites is a bleed over from those days. If it works in wood, can't hurt in fiberglass. -right?? :)

If its really needed in a composite stock, you should of bought a different one. A typical 1/4-28 thread pitch fastener will develop around 1200lbs of tensile load on a threaded joint at the typical 50 lbs inch torque setting. Sounds like a lot, but its really not. A guy named Jerome Sailing, an engineer from an Aerospace fastener evaluation lab in Seattle did this work for me over 15 years ago. My point here is when you spread this load over the surface area of a stock and the bottom side of the floor metal, modern composite fillers tolerate it very, very well. By that measure, pillars are not really needed.

edit: You may question/doubt this. Until you start machining on stocks routinely, you'll struggle to appreciate the strength they have. A hard fill laced with chopped glass is some tough stuff. That kind of material is very, very commonly used strategically in the better composite stocks.

It hurts absolutely nothing though to have pillars installed however. The guys who claim they heat up and throw zeros are forgetting to appreciate that the core material of the stock is a great heat sink. If you get a pillar hot enough to change a zero, your barrel is already resembling a cooling rod from Chernobyl... The one exclusion here is that AL pillars have a nasty habit of failing to adhere properly. This has more to do with the installer failing to prep the material correctly than anything else. A shiny, fresh from the lathe, pillar is not going to stick well to epoxy. You gotta scuff the exterior and put a tooth on it. The other concern is the AL oxide layer that forms. Gotta scuff that off too. "

Very interesting. What about manner's carbon stocks? Are they as tough to resist compression as a fiberglass composite stock?

Something that I worry about with the inlet on the stock, is that it isn't machined to form fit the all the surfaces of the action like the quote you posted sounds like he is talking about.

For example, these pictures of a manners stock unbedded, and then a bedded stock also.

1587575030069.png

1587574524957.png

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.