making custom dies

trueblue

A question for those who deal in wildcats. How do you get dies made ?
Do you buy 2 reamers, 1 for chamber and the other for resizer ? Or are you able to just use the finish chamber reamer to chamber a die blank and then send the die to be coated somewhere to gain a couple thousands thickness to resize your brass. I would like to make a bushing full length sizing die, and also a bullet seating die for a wildcat cartridge without having to wait 5 months for them to be made by a die company. Any imformation on this would be appreciated.

The easiest way is to send your reamer print to Neil Jones and he will make a FL size die with shoulder bump bushings in 30 days or less normally. Cost is around $175 with two bushings.

He normally sends you a die that is neck size only for you to shoot the brass a few times and send the die and bras back to him where he fits a custom sized insert in the die and return in in a week or two.

Other factory die makers (Forester, Hornady etc) will do the same. Wait from 8 weeks to 6 months.

The finish reamer idea normally does not work well if at all due to the dimension differences in where you want to squeeze the case in versus just making a FL chamber die tighter all over.

If it is a case that has a Redding body bump die, Jim Carstenson at JLC Precision will take the body bump die, and hone it to your chamber (fired brass again) and make it a FL size die with neck bushings. Cost is $80 and two weeks normally.

BH

I can make your dies also. Done many for folks over the years.

when Dakota Arms came out with the 423DAKLAP I got stuck with doing all the sizing/seating dies.

Just another option.

Cheers.

chad

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.