making custom dies

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by trueblue, Feb 19, 2009.

1. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

A question for those who deal in wildcats. How do you get dies made ?
    Do you buy 2 reamers, 1 for chamber and the other for resizer ? Or are you able to just use the finish chamber reamer to chamber a die blank and then send the die to be coated somewhere to gain a couple thousands thickness to resize your brass. I would like to make a bushing full length sizing die, and also a bullet seating die for a wildcat cartridge without having to wait 5 months for them to be made by a die company. Any imformation on this would be appreciated.

2. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

The easiest way is to send your reamer print to Neil Jones and he will make a FL size die with shoulder bump bushings in 30 days or less normally. Cost is around $175 with two bushings.

He normally sends you a die that is neck size only for you to shoot the brass a few times and send the die and bras back to him where he fits a custom sized insert in the die and return in in a week or two.

Other factory die makers (Forester, Hornady etc) will do the same. Wait from 8 weeks to 6 months.

The finish reamer idea normally does not work well if at all due to the dimension differences in where you want to squeeze the case in versus just making a FL chamber die tighter all over.

If it is a case that has a Redding body bump die, Jim Carstenson at JLC Precision will take the body bump die, and hone it to your chamber (fired brass again) and make it a FL size die with neck bushings. Cost is $80 and two weeks normally.

BH

3. NesikaChad

NesikaChad Well-Known Member

I can make your dies also. Done many for folks over the years.

when Dakota Arms came out with the 423DAKLAP I got stuck with doing all the sizing/seating dies.

Just another option.

Cheers.

chad