Making a synthetic Rem 700 stock better

fsevin

Wondering if some forum members more experienced than I would lend some advice. I am trying to make a Rem 700 .270 synthetic more accurate, It shoots a flyer now and then, and I am taking precautions to leave bolt open, wait a couple minutes between shots, etc. I am not trying to become a 1000 yard hunter. But I hunt form atop a hill with a clear view of a west Texas water tank 500 yards away... After hitting targets at 300 yds, I believe that shot to be very doable...if I eliminate the flyers. I am wondering if perhaps slightly different downward pressure on different shots is making the "bump" at the end of the stock under the barrel touch, and changing the harmonics/trajectory. Would it be advisable to file that bump off, or am I asking for trouble. I know I would be better off with an upgraded, pillar/glass bedded stock, and plan to do that to a 30-06 I just acquired, but I want to keep this .270 an inexpensive, reliable hunting rifle, reliable to 500 yards. What do you guys think about that simple modification?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.